Raw Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian)
This strawberry pie is for you all, specially for today’s π day (pie day). :)
If you love cheesecake and have admiration for the cream cheese frosting that often goes with it , you will fall in absolute LOVE with this dessert. A layer of crushed raw almond with honey to bind together for the base, and the top layer is the magical coconut milk accompany with fresh strawberry and lemon juice, without any guilt of sugar, but with pitted dates and maple syrup to sweeten, made entirely free of gluten and sugar and coconut lemon flavoured cream cheese frosting. Such divine!
Agar is added to help all the coconut, lemon cream cheese set properly. Serve it with home-made strawberry coulis for extra.
How to make the coulis? That is a far too easy task, just cook some fresh, stemmed strawberries with water, bring to the boil, add little bit lemon juice and natural sugar, mash the berries (you can mash the fruits so smooth or leave some chunky bit, is all up to you), let it simmer until thick, that’s the all things!
This recipe partly adapted from fitchen.
Raw Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake
For the Tart base :
- 1 1/4 cup Raw almond
- 2 tbsp Raw Honey (agave nectar or maple syrup will do)
- Pinch of Pink sea salt
For the Filling:
- 1 can Coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Lemon rind
- 1 cup Pitted dates, soaked
- 150g Fresh strawberries, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 to 3 tsp Agar agar powder
- Palm sugar or natural sweetener to adjust the taste
- 150g Fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced for topping
- For the base: Soak the raw almond to a small bowl of lukewarm water until easy to peel off the skin. Put the almond in a food processor, blend until fine crumbs. Mix the blended almond, salt and honey in another bowl until it well combined. Press down in a glass pie dish evenly by using your hands, set aside.
- For the filling: Drain the pitted dates and pat dry with a tea towel, place the coconut milk (just the top layer of cream, without the underneath liquid), lemon juice, rind and chopped strawberries in the food processor or blender. Blend on high speed until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides to make sure all ingredients are incorporated, leave this aside.
- Taste the filling and add the sweetener or palm sugar, more or less for reach to your own like.
- Heat the 1/2 cup of water in a sauce pan, sprinkle the agar agar powder and use a hand whisk to mix and stir until agar powder dissolves and cook until boiling. Add the liquid into the blender with all the ingredients straight away and doing this step quickly. Blend at high speed until well combined, scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Pour over the tart base and smooth the top with a spoon, chill in the fridge until set.
- Arrange the sliced strawberries over the cheesecake before serving.
Note: Making the raw vegan cheesecake, better to use a powerful blender, the fillings will become smoother and creamier, but if you haven’t owned one just like me, blend for a moment longer, but stop between the process, otherwise your machine will down to the bin.