- Water chesternut starch 馬碲粉 160g
- Custard powder 25g
- Rock sugar or Granulated sugar 180g – 200g
- Water 750ml
- 4 pieces of water chestnut, peeled and chopped
- Mix together the water chestnut starch and custard powder in a bowl.
- Add in 250ml water and whisk well.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve to remove any lumps.
- Dissolve the sugar in the remaining 500ml of water over a low heat.
- Add the chopped water chestnut to the sugar water.
- Add 1/3 of the water chestnut starch/custard powder mixture to the sugar mixture.
- Whisk quickly until it turns transparent and then take it off the heat.
- Then add the rest of the water chestnut starch/custard powder mixture.
- Whisk quickly (this is very important), until it all combines together.
- Pour into a greased container 7” x 3” x 2”.
- Steam over a high heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Let it cool down completely before slicing.
- After slicing, coat each piece with a thin layer of custard powder and fry in a shallow pan with a little oil.
- Serve hot.