This is one of the most Chinese popular cake: Pandan chiffon cake.
Actually this is quite easy to make, try to follow the recipe, it works!
Makes 1 x 22cm Chiffon cake
- 175g plain flour
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 75ml olive oil
- 4 medium size eggs (separated)
- 112ml coconut milk
- 175g caster sugar
- 3/4tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2tsp pandan extract
- Preheat the oven 320°F/180°C/160° Fan.
- Whisk egg whites in a clean bowl, add half of the cream of tartar. Continue whisking and then add the rest of the cream of tartar. Whisk until it becomes stiff – turn the bowl up side down and the egg whites won’t drop down.
- Whisk olive oil, coconut milk, pandan extract, sugar, egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- Sieve flour, baking powder, salt into the egg yolks mixture. Fold it slightly.
- Fold 1/3 of whisked egg whites into the flour mixture, mix well.
- Then fold in all the remaining egg whites.
- Mix it slightly to make the cake lighter.
- Pour into the (non-grease and without any baking parchment) chiffon cake tin.
- Bake for 1 hour. Test the cake is cooked before taking it out of the oven.
- Turn the cake up side down and let it cool down – this makes sure the cake won’t sink down.
Tips: If you can’t find the pandan extract, use vanilla extract instead.
Or you can use your imagination to create a different favour.