Same as the Egg tart, is one of the popular dessert in Hong Kong.
Chinese Coconut Tart (Hong Kong style)
For the pastry:
Buttery Pastry 油皮 (A):
- 75g plain flour
- 100g solid butter, diced
Water Pastry 水皮 (B):
- 75g plain flour
- 20g egg yolk
- 30g icy water
- Sift the flour of pastry (A) onto a clean table, make a well in the middle and add the butter. Use your fingertips to mix the flour and butter until it becomes like breadcrumbs. Then knead it to form a ball shaped dough, wrap it with cling film and put into the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Now sift the flour of pastry (B) onto the table, make a well in the middle, add the egg yolk and gradually add the icy water in. Combine everything together and knead it to a ball shape. Put it aside.
- Roll pastry (B) out to a round circle then put pastry (A) on top . Use both hands to push pastry (B) upwards and over pastry (A). Make sure you wrap pastry (A) tightly until it has been completely covered.
- Use a rolling pin to press down the dough first. Now roll and flatten the dough into a rectangle shape about 1/2 cm thick. Sprinkle lots of flour on the dough and fold into 3 layers. Wrap it in a plastic bag and put into the freezer to freeze about 20 minutes.
- Take the pastry out and roll it into a large rectangle again, sprinkle lots of flour on top. Fold the pastry into 4 layers, and wrap in the plastic bag. Freeze for about 20 minutes.
- Take the pastry out from the freezer and repeat step 5 again. Freeze it again for about 20 minutes.
- When the last 20 minutes has past, roll the pastry thinly and use a cutter to cut the pastry out into 12 round circles. (The size of the cutter should be a bit bigger than the egg tart mould).
- Use your fingertips to press the pastry down to the mould edge. Use a fork to prick the bottom of the pastry. Repeat until all moulds have been filled.
- Put them into the fridge for a few minutes and preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan oven. Then prepare the filling.
For the filling:
- 50g melted butter
- 85g sugar
- 85g evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 112g fine desiccated coconut
- 1tsp baking powder
- 25g plain flour
- 6 glace cherries (cut into half)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Spoon into each prepared pastry and top with half glace cherries on top.
- Transfer to the preheated oven, bake about 20 minutes until light brown.
- Cool down on a metal rack.
You can make the pastry in advance, follow the step 1 to step 8, keep them in an airtight container in freezer. Defrost it in a room temperature before you put the fillings in. It can keep in freezer for 3 months.