I saw this recipe on one of the Jamie Oliver’s cooking programme.
So easy to make and delicious, good for our tea time with a cup of english tea.
English Fruity Scones
- Mixed Fruits 120g
- Orange juice for soaking
- Self-Raising Flour 450g
- Baking Powder 2tbsp
- Butter 120g
- Pinch of Salt
- Egg 2 ( large size ), beaten
- Milk 5tbsp
- Soak the dry fruits with just enough orange juice to cover it for few hours and let it soft to use later.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together, use fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture until it becomes like breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour.
- Mix the beatened eggs into the milk together, drain the dry fruits, and add into the egg mixture.
- Add pinch of salt in the flour, then pour the egg and dry fruits mixture into the flour.
- Slightly fold everything altogether, but not overdo it. If too harsh, the scones will get hard and tough to eat, just keep it slightly fold.
- Roll out on the floured table about 2cm thick, use a 7cm cookie cutter to cut the dough.
- Arrange all the scones on a lined baking tray with gap.
- Brush each scones with milk.
- Bake in the oven for about 12-15 minutes, check it is cooked, then cool down on a wire rack.
- Wait for 10 minutes, and prepare for a nice cup of tea.
- Enjoy it with clotted cream and jam.