What a nice day today, lots of sunshine flow in my kitchen, the robins are hopping and searching some food on our back garden, daffodils come out and smile at last. We’re waiting for this weather for so long, although the temperature still a bit chilly, but we can enjoy the sunshine at least, it is much better than cold, wet, snow and windy compare to last week. Normally, we can do lots of gardening, sowing the flowers and vegetable seeds for the vegetable patch already, but it seems the spring time won’t be coming this year!
Wish this weather will stay longer, let’s shake off the winter blues.
First time to make this ginger cake, not sure it is nice or not! But I am not a fan of gingerbread biscuits, that’s why I create this cake. Add few chopped stem ginger in side the cake and on the top, make it more favourable and that the ground ginger can’t substituted.
Surprisingly, it came out so moist and spongy, it vanished few minutes later after I took it out from oven. What are hungry kids and me! Luckily I reserved one slice for their dad, but need to hide it from them.
- 6 Pieces of Stem Ginger, chopped
- 1tbsp Golden Syrup
- 125ml Milk
- 125g Plain Flour
- 125g Soft Butter ( can use vegetable oil instead )
- 100g Brown Sugar ( can reduce to 80g )
- 2 Eggs
- 2tsp Baking Powder
- 1tsp Mixed Spice
- 3tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2tsp Salt
- Prehead the oven to 400°F/200°C/180°C (Fan oven) or gas mark 6.
- Prepare a 6 inch greased and lined round baking tin.
- Roughly chop the stem ginger.
- Whisk the butter with brown sugar and golden syrup until creamy. Add the egg in one by one and whisk it thoroughly between each one.
- Add milk and whisk again.
- Then add all the remaining ingredients in the egg mixture, but reserve 1/3 of the chopped stem ginger and except the ginger syrup for later to use.
- Make sure all ingredients mix well and smooth.
- Pour into the prepared tin and put into the middle of the hot oven, and bake for about 35 minutes.
- Then turn down the temperature to 150C and continute to bake for another 8 to 10 minutes until it cooked.
- Take it out from the oven and cool it on a wire rack.
- Spread the remaining chopped stem ginger and ginger syrup on top of the cake.
- Be careful, this cake will disappear as soon as it come out from oven.