Lavender & Lemon Biscuits
Ingredients: (Serves approx 36)
- Unsalted butter (straight from fridge) 120g
- Golden brown caster sugar 50g
- Lavender flowers ( without stalks ) 1 tbsp
- Self-raising flour ( sifted ) 175g
- Fine semolina flour ( sifted ) 25g
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh lemon juice 1 tbsp
- Finely grated lemon zest 1 tsp
You will also need:
- 5 cm round cutter
- Slightly chop the lavender flowers and set aside.
- Put the cold butter and caster sugar in a mixing bowl. Use an electric whisk to blend it until pale and fluffy. Add the lemon juice and zest, and blend it for few seconds. Add the lavender flowers.
- Add sifted self-raising flour, semolina and pinch of salt. Use a spatula to mix all ingredients together to form a soft dough.
- Put the soft dough on a large sheet of cling film, and top with another large sheet of cling film. Slightly press down, and use a rolling pin to roll it flat to about 3 – 4 mm thickness.
- Place it on a chopped board and chill it in fridge for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Fan 140C/325F/Fan 275F/Gas 3.
- Take the dough out from fridge and remove the top cling film. Use a 5 cm cutter to stamp out individual shapes. Place on prepared trays, spacing them at least 3 cm apart, and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 mins, until the biscuits are pale golden brown at the edges. Lift them off the trays with a fish slice or palette knife and leave on a wire rack to cool completely.