These muffins are light and fluffy. They are great for breakfast or as an afternoon snack with a cup of tea. Or if you make a smaller size, it is great for your children’s bento box/ lunch box. This recipe has been created with the idea of lowering the fat content. These are so delicious – you’ll never miss the fat.
Banana & Almond Muffins
Ingredients: ( makes 6 big muffins or 10 small muffins )
- Self-raising Flour 225g
- Baking Powder 3/4 tsp
- Egg 2 ( about 120g )
- Caster Sugar 87g
- Banana ( ripened ) 200g
- Apple Sauce 37g (or use sour cream, I use the crème fraîche instead)
- Butter 37g
- Olive Oil 37g
- Almond Flakes 37g
- Salt 1.25g
- Ground Cinnamon 1/2tsp
- Ground Nutmeg 1/2tsp
Prepare before you start:
- Melt the butter in mircowave for about 20 seconds
- Mash the bananas like a paste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C (for fan oven)
- Prepare the muffin tray and lined with muffin cases
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add the mashed banana, melted butter, olive oil, salt, spices and the apple sauce or sour cream, (but I used the crème fraîche instead, because that is the only cream I have in my fridge), use a spatula to fold it all together.
- Sieve the flour and the baking powder into the mixture, mix it lightly.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared muffin cases, just fill 3/4 to the top.
- Sprinkle with almond flakes on each top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- You can use sour cream or even yogurt instead of the apple sauce, like I used the crème fraîche, it still can do the good work.