Apple & Custard Bun (蘋果，卡士達麵包)
Ingredients: ( make 8 buns )
- Strong flour 250g
- Active dried yeast 3g
- Caster sugar 50g
- Salt 3g
- Skimmed milk powder 10g
- Egg 25g ( about 1/2 egg )
- Lukewarm water 130ml
- Unsalted butter 25g
- Apple Preserve 8 tbsp
- Custard 8 tbsp
- Mix active dried yeast with 30ml lukewarm water from the 130ml. Set aside for later.
- Sieved the strong flour into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, salt, milk powder and egg in and mix altogether, gradually add the lukewarm water into the flour mixture, but reserve about 20 to 30ml of the water and then knead the dough first.
- When it started to form a roughly dough, add the butter into the dough and knead it for about 7 to 8 minutes to see the dough is enough water, but try to add the remaining water in a little at a time, because the more water you add into the dough, the bread will be more softer after it bake.
- This is another way to knead the dough: hold one end of the dough tightly and throw it on the table, fold it over and turn it 90 degrees. Repeat this action for 200 – 250 times, the dough will become more elastic and smooth. To test the dough is well knead, you can tear a lump of the dough and try to pull slightly from all direction and the dough is like a thin cloth or like muslin. When it pass the test, it can continue the next step.
- Then fold the dough like a ball shape, put it in a oiled bowl and spray the top with fresh water but not much.
- Now, you can have few ways to proof the dough until double the size. (1). put it into the oven with a pot of hot water if the weather is cold. But need to check the water after a certain of time, because it will get cold, then change to another pot of hot water. ( 2 ). It is the easier way to do, if the weather is hot enough, just leave it in a room temperature and cover with cling film, it will rise to double the size automatically.
- It need to proof about 60 minutes more and less, it depends on the weather. When it is done, sprinkle some flour on the worktop and put the dough on it, slightly lock down the air out from the dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions, roll the dough like a ball shape and cover with a damp tea-towel and rest on the table for about 10 minutes.
- Roll out each dough like a oval shape on the floured table, and put about 1 tbsp of custard on one end and 1 tbsp of apple preserve on top of it, cut the other end with few strips, like the pictures as below, then pull the far end to cover the apple fillings and seal it tightly. And pull each strip to overlap the bun, and use the same way to finish all.
- Transfer all the buns on a lined baking tray, remember to leave enough room for each one to proof. Place them into a warm place about 36°C temperature.
- Then make the second time proofing for about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 210°C/190°C(fan oven).
- Before 10 minutes of the second proofing time is finish, apply the egg wash on each bun by using 1 tbsp of egg yolk and 1 tbsp of milk ( mix together ).
- Put them into the preheated oven, and bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool down on a wire rack.
- I borrowed some pictures from one of my friend: Ko-Bo, thanks!
- I did a few changes from her recipe, so if you want to change the fillings, do whatever you like, it will turn to suit your own taste, I like it!
- I sprinkled some black & white toasted sesame seeds on the bun before bake. It look nicer!
- Next time, I will use this recipe to make some Cocktail bun (Hong Kong style).