Red Beans has another name is called Adzuki beans.
It is often used in baking or ice-cream making. It is very popular.
Red Bean Paste (紅豆茸)
- Dry red bean 250g
- Water 800ml – 1000ml
- Brown sugar 100 – 120g
- Wheat starch (澄麵) 10g ( optional )
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Pinch of salt
- Soak the dry red beans for overnight, drain the water away.
- Put the red beans into a large pot with 400ml to 500ml of water, make sure the water cover with the beans, over high heat and bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low heat, simmer about 1/2 hour, turn off the heat. Keep the lid on and leave it on the stove for 2 hours.
- Turn on the heat to high again and fill the pot with another 400ml to 500ml of water,bring to the boil again and turn down to low heat, same as the first time cooking. let it simmer for another 1/2 hour until there has only a little bit of liquid left, now check the beans is soft enough to mash,if not, simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes, off heat and keep the lid on for another 2 hours. This method can save our gas bill.
- Add the brown sugar and pinch of salt into the cooked red beans, mix well.
- Place the cooked beans into the blender for few minutes until it all mash up like mash potato.
- Now pour all the blended bean paste into a wok, add oil and keep stirring, because it will burn easily, so stay there and keep stirring until all the liquid evaporate and the paste turn thicker, fold the wheat starch in and mix it all well combine.
- Let it cool down and keep in an airtight container, and chill in the fridge, if you can’t use it all, put part of it into the freezer.
- Usually, I will make it in a big batch, freeze part of it and save me the time to make it again and again in a small quantity.
- This red bean paste can make lots of different way to use it, you can use it to make dessert or for some cake filling. That’s why I make it a lot for store in freezer.
- I will make some traditionally chinese cake with this red bean paste for filling later, so keep watching.