Korean dish – especially kimchi and the stir fry rice cake are part of my favourite food, but usually they’re too hot for me, so I need to find my way (adjust the hot level) to enjoy it.
If you get into the Korean supermarket, you can find lots and lots of different hot chilli sauce on the shelf, but don’t worry if you can’t eat that hot ,just like me, they have mild chilli sauce as well.
And the most important part of this recipe is the special sauce, I adjust the hot level to suit most of the people.
Korean Style Stir Fry Rice Cake (韓式炒年糕)
- Dry Rice Cake 1/2 pack ( 250g )
- Chinese leaf 140g
- Chinese dry mushroom 4 pieces
- Carrot 3 or 4 medium size
- Egg 1
For the special sauce:
- Tomato Ketchup 8 tbsp
- Korean chilli sauce 3 tbsp ( I use medium-hot )
- Brown sugar 3 tbsp
- Oyster sauce 1/2 tbsp ( I use vegetarian mushroom sauce )
- Light soy sauce 1 tbsp
- Soak the dry rice cake in water for 4 hours or overnight until soft and drain away the water.
- Soak the dry mushroom into warm water for at least 2 hours until it is soft to slice it, add some soy sauce, sesame oil, ground white pepper and some grated ginger ( if you have), marinade it for 1/2 hour.
- Peel the carrots and shred it.
- Wash and rinse the chinese leaves and roughly chop it.
- Mix all the ingredients of the special sauce in a big bowl.
- Heat a hot wok with 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, add the beaten egg and scramble it.
- Add chinese mushroom and shredded carrot, stir it for 2 minutes, let the mushroom and carrot’s favour come out, then add the chinese leaves, keep stir it until the chinese leaves soft. Transfer all the cooked vegetables on one plate.
- Heat the wok on high heat, add another 1 tbsp of vegetable oil n it, add the rice cake and keep stirring it, in case it stick on the bottom of the wok, you can add a little bit more oil if it is a bit too dry, If the rice cake look softer, then add all the cooked vegetable in and mix it, still keep stirring until all combine together.
- Now, add the special sauce into the rice cake mixture, stir it and mix it, add a little of salt and test the taste to suit you.
- Then off the heat and serve it.
- You can use any kind of green vegetables, especially the season vegetables.
- If you haven’t got any fresh ginger, skip it, that’s is fine without it, but I like the taste of ginger in my stir fry.
- Adjust the taste of the special sauce to suit for you and your family. I used the medium-hot Korean chilli sauce, that is not too mild and not too hot, because I can’t eat too hot. You can buy the hot or extra hot one, if you can cope it.
- You can find the Korean chilli sauce in Chinese supermarket or Korean supermarket, they have lots of different hot chilli sauce.
- Of course, you can add sliced meat in this dish, if you’re a meat eater. Better to marinate the meat first, you will get more favour.