My new creation: Fruit and Nut Mooncake, it combine the traditional ‘five nuts mooncake’. It is old and new fusion mooncake. Because the traditional one is far more sugar than this one, and I add the dry fruits in the filling to lower the sugar content. Also, I made it in a mini size, you won’t feel too guilty to have one, it is once a year special event!
Fruit and Nut Mooncake (乾果，果仁月餅 — 新創意!)
For the pastry Ingredient:
- Traditional Lotus Paste Mooncake one portion of the recipe
For the filling ingredient:
- Whole almond 50g
- Walnut (whole or broken) 30g
- Linseed (brown or golden) 15g
- Black and White sesame seed 50g
- Pumpkin seed 30g
- Dry cranberries 20g
- Dry blueberries 20g
- Candied winter melon (糖冬瓜) 50g
- Stem ginger (糖薑) 20g
- Orange juice 1 tbsp
- Orange zest 2 tsp
- Sesame oil 2 tsp
- Maltose (麥芽糖) 1 tbsp (find it in chinese supermarket)
- Rose water 1 tbsp
- Red bean paste 230g ( click in to see the recipe )
- Egg wash 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp of milk or water
** You can change the quantity of both dried fruits and nuts, or add the what you like.
- Soak the dry cranberries and dry blueberries in warm water for about 1/2 hour, drain it and pat them dry with tea towel.
- Soak the candied winter melon with warm water to get rid of the sugar that wrapped around the candied winter melon, pat dry it with tea towel and roughly chop it.
- Preheat the oven for 375°F/190°C, 170°C (fan oven) or gas mark 5, roast the almonds, walnuts and pumpkins seeds for about 5 to 8 minutes until start to brown, turn off the oven and put the sesame seeds in for 5 to 8 minutes to let the hot oven to roast it.
- Roughly chop the stem ginger and the dry apricot.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C, 170°C (fan oven) or gas mark 5.
- Prepare a large mixing bowl, put all the ingredients in and leave them on the table for 1/2 hour, divide it into 16 pieces, about 38 to 40g each, roll them into a ball shape.
- Click in the Traditional Lotus Paste Mooncake to see all the steps, how to make the pastry, wrap the filling and even how to use the mould to shape the mooncake.
- Arrange the cake on a lined baking tray, and spray with a little bit of water, put into the preheat oven and bake for about 8 minutes first, take it our and egg wash them, put them back to oven and turn the temperature down to 325°F/170°C, 150°C (fan oven), or gas mark 3 for about 15 minutes until golden. Cool down completely on a wire rack and keep in an airtight container and wait for 2 to 3 days to serve.
- It look so many ingredients, but you can swap the fruit and nut to what you like.