According to the encyclopedia: Quorn is the leading brand of imitation meat mycoprotein in the United Kingdom. The mycoprotein used to produce Quorn is extracted from thefungus Fusarium venenatum. Quorn is produced as both a cooking ingredient and a range of ready meals. An alternative to meat; after changing production methods to ensure that only free-range eggs were used, the Vegetarian Societygave the product a seal of approval.
Aubergine has so many different variety. Some of them are long, thin shape and lighter purple colour, some of them are round, green or purple colour and also, they have white colour sold in Hong Kong’s market as well.
But I like the deep, glossy purple colour of Aubergine are so attractive, so inviting to eat them.
The main ingredients of this dish usually use minced meat and the hot and spicy sauce, it can’t cook without them. But for me (vegetarian), I used minced Quorn (soya protein).
Vegetarian Spicy Aubergine with Minced Quorn (素魚香茄子)
- Aubergine 1 large about 400g (diced)
- Minced quorn 170g
- Spring onion 2 ( finely chopped, white and green separated)
- Finely chopped shallot 1 tbsp
- Finely chopped garlic 1 tbsp
- Frozen soya bean 2 tbsp ( defrosted )
- Vegetable oil 1 tbsp
- Hot & spicy bean paste (豆瓣醬) 1 or 2 tbsp
- Pinch of sea salt
- Sugar 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce 1/2 tsp
- Ground white pepper 1/4 tsp
- Dash of sesame oil
- Corn flour 1 tsp + water 1 tbsp
- Sprinkle some salt on the diced aubergines, leave it in the colander for 1/2 hour, and wash with clean water, drain and pat dry it.
- Heat oil in a wok, stir fry the garlic, shallot and chopped white part of spring onion and the hot & spicy bean paste, it will bring all the fragrance out of the kitchen, add the minced quorn and stir it, add 1 tbsp of water at a time and stir it, cook until the aubergine turn soft.
- Add the defrosted soya beans in and stir for few second, put all the seasoning in and mix, test the taste to suit you, if you can cope so hot, you can put more bean paste in and stir thoroughly.
- Add the thickening and stir for few more second, put the chopped green part of the spring onion and dash few sesame oil on top, then serve hot.
- Remember to prepare more boiled rice!