It look nice and it taste nice too, it’s golden colour just like smiling to you, waving to you! Yeah, I’m talking about my carrot bread. In this bread, I put some honey and yogurt instead of the sugar and milk, it taste a little bit sweet but not too much, I put carrot puree but you can’t really taste the carrot, it just amazing!
For the dough ingredient:
- Carrot 150g ( finely grated )
- Strong flour 250g
- Wholemeal flour 30g
- Active dry yeast 1 tsp (if instant yeast, use 1/2 tsp)
- Sea salt 1/8 tsp
- Unsalted butter 30g
- Honey 30g
- Milk / Yogurt 50g ( I used yogurt )
For the topping ingredient: 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp milk, whisk together.
- Finely grated the carrot and keep the juice as well.
- Mix the active dry yeast with a little bit of milk, leave for about 5 minutes until foamy.
- Put all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl (except the butter), and reserve about 30ml of milk/yogurt for later to gradually add into the dough. Knead the dough onto a slightly floured table, when it form a dough, add the butter and fold all the side up and knead for about 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic, or you can use electric stand mixer (that will do all the arm work for you, :)). The dough will be a bit sticky to handle, but try to add all the liquid into the dough, because the end of the result , the bread will be more softer.
- When the dough is ready to proof, put it into a oiled large bowl, spray some water on top and keep in a warm place and let it proof for 1 or 1 1/2 hour, it depends on the room’s temperature.
- Check the dough has proof to double the size, take it out on a floured table and tap the air out, roll into a ball shape and cover with a clean tea towel, leave on the table for about 10 to 15 minutes to rest.
- Roll the dough into a oval shape, and start to the shorter side to roll the dough like a sausage roll. Put into a prepared loaf tin. Let it start to the second proof for about 50 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/170°C(fan oven), or gas mark 5.
- Place the loaf into the heated oven, and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes until golden.
- Turn the bread out from the baking tin and cool on a wire rack.
- If you use hand to knead it, don’t worry about the 30ml liquid, just leave it, because the dough will be sticky to knead. But try not to put too much flour into the dough, because the texture will be harder.
- Can use pumpkin puree instead of carrot puree.