I nearly forgot this recipe that I made last year for halloween party, thanks for one of my friend ‘J’ remind me. This recipe was so good but so easy to follow, don’t worry!
It look like a real pumpkin but miniature, the gorgeous glossy yellow colour make you mouthwatering but you’ll get struggle because you don’t want to demolish it into your mouth.
Mini Pumpkins ( Q版南瓜 )
For the pastry Ingredient:
- Pumpkins 150 to 200g
- Glutinous Rice Flour 糯米粉 300g
- Wheat Starch 澄麵粉 1/2tbsp
- Caster Sugar 2tbsp
- Hot Water 6tbsp
- Vegetable Oil 1/2tbsp
- Custard Powder 1tbsp
For the filling ingredient:
- Coconut Milk 185g
- Evaporated Milk 115g
- Skimmed Milk Powder 56g
- Custard Powder 84g
- Caster Sugar 140g
- Egg, beaten 2 large
- Melted Butter 42g
Method: To make the filling first and chill
- Mix custard powder, milk powder and sugar together.
- Put coconut milk and evaporated milk into a big bowl. Whisk together with all the dry ingredients into the milk mixture.
- Add in the beaten eggs, whisk it thoroughly.
- Then pour in all the melted butter and whisk until combined together.
- Pour the custard mixture through a sieve to remove any lumps. This is an important step to ensure a smooth custard.
- Pour the custard into a shallow greased container and steam on a high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Test it to make sure it is cooked.
- Place on a tray of ice cubes to make it cool down quicker but still warm.
- Scrape all the custard on a clean table and knead it by wearing a pair of gloves for easy handling.
- Knead the custard until smooth, roll it into a ball and chill in the fridge for use later.
Method: To make the pastry
- Peel and de-seed the pumpkin, cut it into chunks, and steam on a high heat for about 10 minutes until soft. Mash it.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together with hot water, and combine it to a dough.
- Put on a clean table add oil, and knead until smooth.
- Roll into a ball and wrap it with cling film. Chill in a fridge for at least 1/2 hour.
- Roll the pastry into a long roll. Divide into approximately 22g portions.
- As with the pastry, roll the filling into a long roll, cut it into 20g portions, then form to a ball shape. Cover everything with a damp cloth to prevent them drying out.
- Press down each of the pastry and wrap one ball of filling inside. Seal all the edges and make it into a ball.
- Use a knife to press down a few lines onto each ball to make it look like real pumpkin.
- Use scissors to cut a few strips of raisins to make the stalks.
- Place one on top of each pumpkin.
- Arrange all the pumpkins on an oiled plate and put into a steamer on a high heat for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pls, don’t touch the little pumpkin straight away after steaming, you’ll ruin the shape of them. Let them stand still for 5 minutes to show their beautiful body shape!
- This tiny little cake are best to serve hot but not really really hot. Just put it back to steam over heat for few minutes if it get cold.