Bought two pineapples today from a green grocery, one for my friend and one for myself.
I’m not very keen on the shop’s jam. Do you know the sugar content from the shop one is over 60% per 100g jam. They’re far too sweet for me and definitely will harm my cholesterol. That’s why I like to make my own jam, because I can adjust the sugar content by myself, and without adding any artificial coloring nor preservative.
After I finish to make the jam, I just notice that I forgot to weight the pineapple and sugar. I’m so silly! So everything need to be guess and test the taste by yourself. But actually it is quite easy to make. You just make fun with it!
Home Made Pineapple Preserve (菠蘿醬)
- One fresh pineapple (medium size and not too ripe)
- Brown granulated sugar 50 to 75g (just guessed)
- Mix 1 tsp potato starch with 2 tsp water for thickening (optional)
How to prepare fresh pineapple:
- The best pineapples are uniformly golden coloured and plump with crisp green leaves. The most reliable test for ripeness is a sweet fragrance, but for a second check press the base, it should give a little when the fruit is ripe.
- To prepare the fruit, first cut off the stalky top and the base of the pineapple using a knife. Then stand the fruit upright and slice off the skin in long strips following the contour of the flesh. You want to try and remove all of the brown “eyes”.
- Cut into half of the pineapple and don’t remove the middle hard bit. Use a cheese grater to grate the pineapple into a saucepan. Put on a high heat stove and cook the pineapple until bubbly, add the brown sugar and let it completely melt. Turn down the heat to medium low, keep cooking and stirring until the juice evaporate.
- If your pineapple is quite juicy, it will take a long time to evaporate, so mix the thickening and add in the pineapple when it is cooking, it will save the gas as well. When it is turn thicken, off heat.
- To prepare a steroid jar by boil it into a pan of boiling water, or put into a microwave for few minutes, but take care it will be really hot to handle, get a tea towel to take it out. Spoon the cooked jam into the jar and let it cool down completely.
- It can keep in the fridge for about 1 month.
- The sugar content in this recipe was not accurate, so try to put the sugar in few batch, and keep testing the taste first, then put the other batch of sugar.
- Because this preserve haven’t add any artificial coloring or any preservative, so it is better to finish it between one month.