Home made Dates Paste
You can buy this kind of dates easily in lots of healthy shop, some of them was stoned already. It is quite sweet for me, but lots of people like to make pudding with them, like the sticky toffee pudding with dates, but it is not my cup of tea, sorry!
As Chinese, we love to make our soup with dates, or make some dessert with dates as well, because they’re very good for our health.
Here are few popular dates in Chinese :
1: Red dates 紅棗
2: Black dates 黑棗 ( similar to blue dates but smaller )
3: Blue dates 藍棗 ( stoned )
All types of dates contain several minerals and vitamins that are essential for many body functions including metabolic reactions and red blood cell production. These include vitamins A, B-1, B-2, B-3 and B-5 as well as the minerals calcium, sulphur, iron, copper and magnesium as listed by the Dasman Institute.
All dates contain high amounts of the mineral potassium and low amounts of sodium or salt. FamilyNutritionOnline.com notes that this property makes them beneficial for maintaining a healthy nerve system and improving heart and vascular or blood vessel health to decrease the risk of heart disease and stroke.
We (chinese) like to prepare this dates paste for cake or for biscuit, etc…
Home made Dates Paste
- Stoned pitted dates 500g
- vegetable oil 50g
- Water 200g
- Wash the dates and dry them with a clean tea towel, and set aside.
- Put 1/2 of the dates into a blender with half of the water and blend them until it look like a smooth batter, do the same way with the other half dates and water.
- Pour all the mixture into a large saucepan or wok over a medium low heat, keep stir it and add 1/3 of the oil at a time, stir them thoroughly and cook until it form a thick paste, off heat. Cool down.
- Prepare a large sheet of cling film on the work top and brush slightly with a layer of oil, scrape the dates paste on it and roll like a long sausage, keep in the fridge to later to use, (make sure you will consume it for next few days, otherwise, keep in the freezer).
- This kind of dates is sweet enough, so I prefer not to add any sugar in it, but if you want to be a bit more sweeter, is up to you.
- Normally I will make it a large quantity, so I can have it whenever I want, it save me the time to make it again.
- It can use on lots of cooking and baking like: sticky dates pudding, This time I will prepare it for my coming post, so keep watching.