Baked Cinnamon Donuts — Miniature version
I always find that shop-buy donuts were far too much sugar and jam in it, and they’re deep fried as well, even more fatty and unhealthy. Even I scraped out the sugar, it still too sweet for me ( not good for my health ). And not easy to find the ring donut on the shelf, maybe people fancy the sweet one with jam in the middle.
So, I searched a lot of information about a bit healthy donuts, then I found this one. Meanwhile, I change some of the ingredients to be a bit more healthy choice, good for me, hehe 🙂 . I changed it for a bit less sugar and use wholemeal flour instead of the plain white one. And the main reason that I like this recipe: they use BAKE, not deep fry!
When they came out from the oven, they looked so cute (miniature size)! I beg you won’t resist it, I ate 3 of them already before I put the topping on, hahaha.
I got my own donuts, yay!!!
Baked Cinnamon Donuts
- 1 cup semi-skimmed milk
- 50g melted butter
- 2 1/2 cups / 350g of Whole-meal plain flour
- 3 tsp Active dried yeast ( for instant yeast 1 1/2 tsp )
- 1/2 cup / 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
Topping: 2 tbsp of melted butter and 2 tbsp of icing sugar
- Put milk into a saucepan over low heat, stir in 1 tbsp of butter and let it melted, off heat. Add yeast in, stir until melted, leave it until foamy.
- Mix the sieved flour, sugar and cinnmon together.
- Add milk mixture into the flour mixture, use spatular to mix it first, then knead on the floured table, until smooth and elastic, or damp everything in the stand mixer.
- Spray with water on top, leave in a warm place and proof for about 1 1/2 hours until it double the size.
- Deflate the dough and roll the dough into 1cm thickness and use a 6cm round cookie cutter to cut it, then use another 2cm round cutter cut the middle out, it will form a mini donut shape. Arrange on a lined baking tray, leave in a warm place for about 30 minutes, it depends how warm of the area, I think it is about 20°C, that will be quite good to proof, if not enough, can add 10 to 20 minutes more.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/180°C (fan oven)
- Brush the donuts with egg wash: ( one egg + 1 tbsp of milk )
- Bake into the hot oven for about 12 to 14 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack, brush with melted butter and sieved with icing sugar on top.
- Serve hot will be so yummy!
- You can use plain white flour instead of whole-meal flour, but I use whole-meal, because white flour can add blood sugar into my body and I am on a low fat diet.
- I just put the half of donuts with topping, the other half without, (that’s is for me), but still so nice and soft, better to buy from shop, they’re fat too sweet and fatty!