I think I’ve been making quite few apple pie before, this is the one that I quite like it, and the pastry was flaky and light, but the main point : EASY to make the pastry! haha, it fit in my lazy character.>=<
I liked to use the green apple, like Bramley apple, Granny Smith or the Braeburn, they are crunchy and have a little bit tangy taste, I love it! And they are good enough to make dessert too! This time I try to make a bit more challenge for myself, to make the lattice pattern on top of the pie, actually, I haven’t make a proper lattice before. But the result was still look funny, so if anyone can teach me how to make a proper lattice, please, help!
Apple Pie Adapted from here
For the pastry Ingredient:
- 130g Plain flour
- 100g Cold butter, cubed
- 50 to 60ml Iced cold water
For the filling:
- 350g Cooking apple, sliced
- 100g Sugar
- 1 tsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- Cook the apples in a frying pan, add sugar, cook them until the sugar melted, add lemon juice, ground cinnamon and cook until the apple soft and reduce the liquid, off heat and cool down, and chill in the fridge for later to use.
- Now, make the pastry, sift the flour in a mixing bowl, put the cold, butter cube into to the flour and use the balloon whisk to combine the flour and butter together, until it look like breadcrumb, remember not to knead the dough, and add iced water a little bit at a time, keep whisk and the dough look so flaky, wrap in a plastic bag and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle some flour on the table, take the dough out from the fridge, roll it out, fold over for few times and keep doing this process 3 to 4 times more, until the dough smooth, and wrap in a plastic bag and chill another 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F/230C°/210°C (fan oven), or gas mark 8.
- Roll out the pastry flat and thin and using the rolling pin to lay the pastry onto the pie/tart dish, and if you like, you can smash few biscuits and spread it on the pie bottom, it is only for avoid a soggy pie bottom, but this step is not necessary!
- Lay the apple fillings on top, and make the lattice on top, brush with egg wash.
- Bake into the hot oven for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- It is so crunchy, crispy when it’s hot, so be quick, let’s finish all in one go!
- It is best to serve hot with custard sauce, you can buy from shop or home made. I did the home made custard sauce, but I forgot to take the picture, because we can’t wait to eat it, so the home made custard will be post later, if I can remember! hehehe