Pineapple Crisp/Cake (鳳梨酥)
HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR 2013 – THE YEAR OF SNAKE!
Wish everyone have a nice and happy year of 2013!
I still got a little cake to share with you! This is one of the most popular cake in Taiwan, nearly all the tourists will get it for gift to their friends and family before they finish holiday in there. And, they have their own different recipe to make it. This is called Pineapple cake/crisp.
*** I forgot to post this recipe during the new year, here you go!
Pineapple Crisp/Cake (鳳梨酥)
- 227g Unsalted butter
- 50g Icing sugar
- 2 Large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g Plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 500g Pineapple Preserve for filling
- Use a electric whisk to beat the butter and icing sugar together until fluffy and pale.
- Add the vanilla extract and egg yolks one at a time, make sure that is fully incorporate by each adding.
- Sift the flour into the mixture, use spatular to fold the flour in first, then use your hand to fold it and slightly knead the dough but not like to knead for bread making. it just knead until it smooth for few minutes, that’s enough!
- Then wrap in cling film and chill for an hour, but I keep the dough in fridge for overnight, because I haven’t enough time to make it, it was late night, too tired!
- The next day, I take the dough out from the fridge and leave in room temperature for 2 hours. Then sprinkle some flour on the worktop, divide the dough into equal size, about 20g each, and divide the pineapple preserve into 13g to 14g each portions.
- Roll the pastry flat on a cling film, and wrap the fillings in, make it into a ball shape.
- Press down a little bit flat on the baking tray with baking parchment, and use a fork to press and make a diamond pattern, this is a easy way to make.
- But I bought a pineapple cookies mould long time ago, so I like to use it to make this special Pineapple cake, but this is for cookies, I tried to make the ball shape and use the cookie mould to press the shape, but it is quite difficult to make it nice shape, and it look funny, so I give up this idea, and think the other way. So I tried to roll out the pastry between two pieces of cling film, this will prevent the dough stick on the rolling pin and it came out clean and easier to handle the dough.
- Then I put a tiny amount of the pineapple filling on the cut out cookies pastry, flatten it a little bit, and place another piece of pastry on top of the filling, just like a sandwich.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/160°C(fan oven), or gas mark 4.
- I didn’t brush the top pastry with egg wash, or you can egg wash the top, the result will be more golden!
- Bake into the oven for about 15 to 17 minutes until golden brown.