Vegetarian Spicy Mince Paste (純素食搾醬)
I think lots of Asian Chinese knew what is this, you can say it just like the Western minced sauce to put on the pasta, spaghetti bolognese or even on the baked jacket potato. But I can tell you now, IT IS!
But the taste of this mince paste is totally difference. It’s rich, spicy and full of favour taste, you just can’t resist it. It can put on any pasta, spaghetti or jacket potato, and we just like to put on any cooked noodle, like rice noodles, vermicelli, soup noodle or even on a bowl of boiled rice. Especially the Taiwanese like it so much, and it is so popular in there, you can have it everywhere, even the street food during the night time, they have lots of different kind of mince sauce to choose. Mmmm, so yummy!
The non-vegetarian version is used the mince meat, but for our vegetarian, I used the mince quorn instead, and use lots of difference chilli sauce and ingredients to make it. Anyone can create their own spicy mince sauce to suit their own taste. This recipe is adaped from here, but I did a bit of changes, because I didn’t have some of the ingredients.
Vegetarian Spicy Mince Paste (純素食炸醬)
- 50g Chinese preserved vegetables (炸菜)
- 4 sliced Fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 85g Chinese dried mushroom
- 100g Hot and spicy bean paste (豆辦醬)
- 150g Whole soy bean sauce (豆醬)
- 2 tbsp Tahini paste (芝麻醬)
- 140g Dried tofu (豆干)
- 120g Minced quorn
- 60g Sesame oil (麻油)
- 4 tsp Vegetarian mushroom stock (香菇調味粒)
- 80g Brown sugar (more of less)
- 100g Sunflower oil
- 1 to 1.5 cup of water
- Soak the chinese preserved vegetable with plenty of water and change the water for few time, cause this kind of vegetable was quite salty. Drained and dry it on a dry towel, and finely chop it.
- Soak the chinese dried mushroom with water until the mushroom soft, dry it and finely chop it.
- Wash the Dried tofu (豆干) with clean water, and finely chop it.
- Heat oil in a large wok, stir fry the ingredient: 1, 2, 3, 7, and 8 for few minutes, add all the seasoning and fry for about 10 minutes, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 5 more minutes, adjust the taste to suit yourself. Off heat.
- Prepare few glass jars and put into the microwave , turn on the full power to sterile the jar for few minutes, let it cool down in the microwave.
- Spoon the paste into the jar and cover with one piece of grease paper and lid, turn the jar upside down on the table until the paste cold. it can keep into the fridge for about one month, but I don’t think it can keep that long.
- Why not spoon 1 tbsp of this mince paste spread on toasted baguette with lettuce and sliced cucumber, Mmmm… , trust me, just can’t believe it, it is so yummy!