Burdock Burger (牛蒡扒)
I remembered I had this burdock burger long time ago, it was from Hong Kong. But I still could remember the taste. Nowadays, we can buy the fresh burdock root from chinese supermarket, but not cheap. But I saw a pack of frozen burdock, it is from Japan, and it shredded already, so I bought one pack to try to make this burger.
Burdock, the Chinese name is called 牛蒡, Japan, Arctium lappa is called “gobō” (牛蒡 or ごぼう); in Korea burdock root is called “u-eong” (우엉) and sold as “tong u-eong” (통우엉), or “whole burdock” . Plants are cultivated for their slender roots, which can grow about one metre long and two centimetres across. Burdock root is very crisp and has a sweet, mild, and pungent flavour with a little muddy harshness that can be reduced by soaking julienned or shredded roots in water for five to ten minutes. Information from here, and the nutrition is from here!
Arctium lappa. Note for broad leaves and lavender color flower heads.
Photo courtesy: homeredwardpriceBurdock roots. Note for woody, firm roots with crispy white color flesh.
Photo courtesy: fitkitchen
Burdock Burger (牛蒡扒)
Ingredient: (can make about 30 to 35 burgers, it depends the size)
- 80g Dried Soya chunk, soaked with water
- 125g Strong bread flour
- 75g Corn flour
- 4 Medium egg
- 100g Japanese frozen shredded burdock, (can use fresh)
- 100g Flammulina velutipes, Japanese えのき茸 enokitake 金針菇 (mushroom)
- 125g Water chestnut, peeled
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mushroom stock, granulated
- 2 tsp black and white ground pepper
- oil for shallow fry
- Squeeze the water from the soaked soya chunk until it dry, put into a food processor to mince the soya chunk, only use the pulse function, we want to keep the texture.
- Trim the Flammulina velutipes, Japanese えのき茸 enokitake 金針菇 root, and use a damp cloth to clean the mushroom, cut into 3.
- Defrost the frozen burdock, put 1 tsp oil into a saucepan, fry the burdock for about 2 minutes, add salt and soy sauce, keep stir it until it cooked, it won’t take long, because we will fry it again.
- Roughly chopped the water chestnut, set aside.
- Pour the cooked shredded burdock into a large mixing bowl, add mushroom, and all the other ingredients, mix it all up, set aside for 1/2 hour.
- Put 1 tbsp oil into a large flat saucepan, scoop 1 tbsp of the each burger mixture into the pan and shallow fry it for both side, it will take few minutes for each side. Now, you can adjust the seasoning more or less to suit you, place them on a kitchen paper to absorb the extra oil from the burger.
- Remember to make one burger first, and adjust the taste before you repeat the remaining burger.
- Cool down the burger and keep in an airtight container, put into the freezer, it will keep for 2 months. Defrost it in the fridge before you want to eat it.