Mini Milky Bun
When the first time I saw this picture from Siew’s blog, I knew I will try this soon or later, but won’t be too long!
Yes, I will make this cute little buns today! I love and like to learn the way to make it to improve the dough more lighter and more moist to keep long, the method is called ‘poolish’ ~ is a fermentation starter used in bread making, and is referred to as an indirect method. It may also be called mother doughand.
You can use the recipe for the basic formula to create lots of different soft bread, no matter sweet one or savoury one.
They can be your breakfast roll or bake it in a loaf tin and turn into your lunch’s sandwiches.
Mini Milky Bun
It can make 12 to 14 mini buns.
Ingredient for poolish:
- 210g Strong bread flour
- 4g Instant dry yeast ( 8g, if you use the active dry yeast )
- 16g Milk powder
- 50g Egg, beaten
- 75g warm milk
Ingredient for the main dough:
- 70g Strong bread flour
- 40g Caster sugar
- 4g Sea salt
- 25g water
- 35g Unsalted butter, cubed
- Mix all the ingredients together, knead for about 5 minutes, and cover with cling film, leave it in a warm place to proof for about 1 to 2 hours, it depends the room’s temerature, let it double the size.
- Mix all the main dough ingredients except the butter, and add the poolish pieces into the ingredients, fold everything come together and form a rough dough first, add the butter and start to knead the dough until smooth and can stretch to a thin panel, this is the time to let the dough proof, cover with cling film and leave it in a warm place and wait for it double the size about 2 hours.
- Deflate the dough and cut into 12 or 14 little portions, about 53g each ( more or less ), roll each dough into a ball and cover with a damp cloth, let it rest on the table for about 10 minutes.
- Roll the ball flat into a long oval shape, and roll up from the short end to the other end, like a cylinder roll, let it rest for 10 minutes again.
- Roll the dough again for a second time, arrange on a baking tray, let it proof again for about 50 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F/160°C/140°C (fan oven), or gas mark 3.
- Egg wash the top of the buns, bake in the oven for about 18 minutes ( more of less ), until golden brown.
- This little buns are light and small, so adjust the time if your oven was too hot, or need to change the tray the other way round during the cooking time.