Creamy Roasted Chestnut & Butternut Squash Soup
Can’t believe the butternut squash can keep in the pantry for more than a month (actually I forgot it sat in there ), but it still haven’t rotten. I roasted the squash, chestnuts and the seeds at the same time, the roasted seeds was a nice snack when I watched my favourite TV.
I added the cashew nuts to make this soup more creamy without any cream or milk, it suit for anyone who is vegan or vegetarian. But even you’re neither vegan nor vegetarian, you still love it, I promised you!
Creamy Roasted Chestnut and Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 Medium size Butternut Squash
- 1 Clove garlic, unpeeled ( Optional )
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely diced ( Optional )
- 1 Piece of fresh ginger ( about one inch ), finely grated
- 1 small hot chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 10 Chestnut, peeled
- 1 or 2 Small size sweet potato, unpeeled
- One handful of raw cashew nut
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Dried rosemary
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/180°C (fan oven), or gas mark 6
- Sliced the whole butternut squash about one inch thickness, unpeeled. Scattered the chestnuts onto a large baking tray along with the squash, whole sweet potato and garlic, drizzled with one tablespoon of olive oil, herbs and seasoning, Bake into the oven for about 30 to 45 minutes until it is nice and soft.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool. When it is cold enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and set aside with the garlic clove.
- While the squash is roasting, put the remaining tablespoon of oil into a large pot over low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is browned and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic clove into the pan, discarding the skin. Add the squash, sweet potato, chestnuts, raw cashew nuts, ginger, chillies and stock. Turn the heat to high and bring it to the boil and simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Purée the soup by using the handheld stick blender or into a liquidiser to liquefy it until all the ingredients as smooth as possible.
- Reheat the soup, seasoned with salt and black pepper, serve with roasted croutons and a swirl of extra virgin olive oil. Then served.