Orange Marmalade Yogurt Cake
I can’t wait to try my new baking gadget : a bundt cake mold. The price was not expensive so that I could affort it ( I did lots of works to compare the price from others before, this one was the cheapest one ).
It looks like a crown, the size is 25cm, nearly 10 inches round, good size to serve about 8 to 10 people.
Today, I baked an orange marmalade yogurt cake for the special open ceremony, yay, cheers!
This time I made the marmalade by myself, I can tell the difference from the shop bought one, you won’t complain it, I won’t too!
I think the Paddington bear will like my marmalade , just like me ! > ^.^<
Orange Marmalade Yogurt Cake
For the cake:
- 340g Self-raising flour
- 240g Golden caster sugar ( I only used 200g )
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 210g Fat-free Greek style yogurt
- 210g Fresh orange juice
- 1 Orange, rind only
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 160ml Vegetable oil ( can added to 170ml )
- 7 tbsp Hone-made Marmalade, melted with 2 tbsp water, plus extra marmalade for serving
For Home-made Marmalade:
- 900g Oranges, ( better use the unwaxed orange )
- 45g Fresh Lemon Juice
- 390g Sugar ( I only used 370g, you can adjust to 400g if you have a sweet tooth )
For the Marmalade:
- Wash all the oranges and cut the peel off the skin ( try to cut the white bit away, those are bitter ), then cut the peels into thinnish shreds. Cut the orange into half and squeeze all the juice out for later to use.
- Scope out the pith and pips from the oranges and put into a saucepan with 400g of water and bring to the boil, turn down the heat to low and simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes, then sieved the liquid into the orange juice.
- Prepared another pan of boiling water, add the thin shredded peels into the boiling water for about 3 minutes to get rid of the bitter taste. Add the cooked peels into the orange juice and come with lemon juice and sugar over high heat for about 10 minutes and let the sugar melted, turn the heat down, and simmer for about another 15 to 20 minutes or more until the jam thicken, stir it all through the cooking to prevent it get burn, when it was done, pour into a sterilized jar, cover with a piece of wax paper with lid on, turn the jar upside down and let it cool down completely, chill into the fridge.
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/170°C (fan oven), or gas mark 5
- Whisk the vegetable oil and caster sugar together until thicken, add egg one at a time to the mixture, and whisk thoroughly.
- Add orange juice, yogurt, vanilla extract and orange rind, whisk until all combined.
- Sieved the flour and fold into the mixture to a smooth batter, pour into the mould, and bake in the preheat oven for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on the wire rack and pour the marmalade toppings ( marmalade + water ), and serve with a spoonful of marmalade.
- The sugar quantity in the marmalade was about 45% to 50%, if you want sweeter, feel free to adjust by your taste bud, the shop bought one was always 65%. It was too sweet for me.
- Sterilized the jar and turn the jar upside down, it was to prevent the bacteria to grow inside the jam, chill into the fridge will keep longer.
- Don’t cook the jam too long, if it was too dry, add a small amount of boiling water in to mix.
The marmalade jam was adapted from Carol.
The Cake was partly adapted from taste.com,