Vegan Creamy Chocolate Gelato & Banana Ice Cream
Do you like ice-cream? I think no-one will reject it from toddlers to adults. Even in winter, still have people ask for it ( included me )!
But ice-cream was getting more expensive, it’s not the right value for me. So I invested an ice-cream machine for my kids and all my family, we can have all sorts of ice-cream, gelato, sorbet, frozen yogurt at anytime that we want to. It’s only take some preparation advance for the day before or two days before, keep the ingredients cold inside the fridge, and keep the ice-cream bowl into the freezer, then, we can have our own favourite cold dessert all the year round without any hurt of my purse.
* Creamy Chocolate Gelato For Vegan as well
Recipe adapted from here
Ingredient: ( can make 4 glasses )
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably organic
- 2 14-ounce cans “lite” coconut milk (about 3 1/2 cups), divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Put cocoa in a medium bowl and whisk in enough coconut milk to make a smooth paste. Stir in vanilla.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in the remaining coconut milk. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, until the mixture begins to barely simmer around the edges. Then, stirring constantly and scraping the sides and cornes of the pan to prevent scorching, let the mixture simmer for 2 1/2 minutes to fully cook the cornstarch. Scrape the hot mixture into the bowl with the cocoa mixture. Whisk until well blended. Let cool, undisturbed, for about 45 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours.
- Pour the gelato mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
* Banana Ice Cream
Ingredient: ( can make 6 glasses )
- 1 or 2 Ripened banana, sliced
- 100 ml Sour cream
- 150 ml Whipping cream
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Cornflour/ corn starch
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
- Sliced the banana first, dump into a food processor with lemon juice and sour cream, blend until smooth.
- Add whipping cream, honey lemon juice, corn flour, salt and vanilla extract, with the banana mixture, all in a saucepan over medium-low heat, use the hand whisk to combine all the ingredients until you can’t see any lumps, bring to the boil from the sides, lower the heat and simmer for about 2 1/2 minutes, off heat, let it cool down.
- Remember to freeze the ice cream bowl for at least half day, I kept the ice-cream in my freezer all the time, so I can have my ice-cream anytime I fancy it.
- Chill in the fridge for about 3 hours. Start the frozen ice-cream maker and slowly pour the mixture into it ( follow the instruction ).
- Put in an airtight container and freezer for another 1/2 hour, then serve. But I forgot to take it out after 3 hours, it started a little bit crystallize.
TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; refrigerate for up to 2 days. Store gelato/ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week. For the best texture, let soften slightly before serving.