Vegan Tofu Ball 豆腐丸子
- 400g Firm tofu
- 3 tbsp Potato starch
- 6 Dried Shaiitake mushroom
- 6 Water chestnut
- 1/2 cup Sweeten radish (菜脯)
- 1/4 cup Fungus (木耳)
- 1/2 cup Fresh coriander, chopped ( I haven’t used )
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- Sea salt and ground white pepper
- Vegetable oil for shallow fry
- Soak the mushrooms, fungus in water for few hours, shredded, set aside.
- Use the kitchen towel to absorb the water from tofu, or put a large plate over the tofu and top up with some heavy objects like a can of beans to squeeze the water from tofu. Mash it.
- Finely chop the water chestnut and the radish and mix in with the mushroom and fungus, add the sesame oil, salt and white pepper, then add the potato starch, mix until everything is well incorporated.
- This time I have another idea to roll the tofu into a ball without making a mess. Prepare a piece of cling film, take a spoonful of tofu mixture, put in the middle of the cling film, hold up all the sides and twist it, then a perfect of tofu ball will formed. Repeat the remaining tofu mixture.
- Prepare a flat frying pan and add oil, fry the tofu ball until crispy.
- It is nice to serve the tofu balls with some sweet chilli sauce.
- If you’re not a vegan, mix with one egg into the mixture before roll into a ball.