Papaya & Snow Fungus Traditional Sweet Soup/Dessert ~ 雪耳冰糖燉木瓜
Sweet soup are definitely the Chinese dessert, ‘ sweet soup’ in Chinese is called ‘ tong shui ‘ 糖水. Of course the main ingredients are water and sugar. This recipe, I added Chinese snow fungus or called the other name ; ‘White fungus’, people named it ‘ poor people’s bird nest ‘.
Have you heard about ‘ bird nest‘? not the one build by the birds for their new born baby with lot of twigs, hehe. I am talking about this one was edible, they’re so expensive. The nests have been used in Chinese cooking for over 400 years, most often as bird’s nest soup. Our ancestors are far too clever to find those good and full of nutritient food for their health and benefit for skin or more….lots of information from the internet.
But I’m not talking about this. OK, finished to talk about those edible bird nest. Let’s back to what I want to make: ‘ Papaya and Snow Fungus Sweet Soup’
One of the ingredients is called ‘sweet and bitter almonds’ , please, don’t use the ordinary almond, those are not the same. Look at the picture that I took, you can get it from Chinese grocery store. The sweet one is bigger size and the bitter one has a bit smaller.We can use it for cooking or for the medicine that’s the herbalist recommend it.
Papaya & Snow Fungus Traditional Sweet Soup Dessert ~ 雪耳冰糖燉木瓜
- 1 Papaya, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 2 tbsp Chinese sweet and bitter almonds
- 2 to 3 Snow fungus/ white fungus, soaked in water
- 120g Rock sugar
- 4 cups of water
- Prepared the papaya, and cut into bite size, washed with clean water.
- Let the snow fungus soaked into water for half hour, remove the middle hard stuff, run under the tap water to clean the dirt and tore into small pieces.
- Boiled the 4 cups of water into a saucepan, add the Chinese almonds, papaya and snow fungus and bring to the boil again, lower the heat and simmer about 30 minutes, add the rock sugar and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes. server hot.
- Some people like to use the other way to cook, they called ‘ double-boiled’, it mean they put the ingredients into a bowl and cover with a lid, and steam into a bigger size pot half filled with boiling water, and simmer for about an hour. But I’m too lazy to do it, and i liked this straight method, It will do the same result.
- Some the of Chinese ‘sweet soup’, like to use the rock sugar, it can find from the Chinese grocery store. they’re good for this kind of Chinese dessert.