Big Feast in Summer Barbecue
Warm, Sunny spell , Crystal clear blue sky with a bit of Breeze, what else I can describe this weekend’s weather? Such a wonderful day that we missed a lot!
Welcome back, SUMMER! We love you!
We set up a barbecue in our back yard with lots of food, drink, salad, even dessert at the end as well.
My family have their non-veggi food as usual, but I prepared a lots of food for vegetarian. Today, I only post part of them, because I was exhausted of all the cleaning after the BBQ, but it’s so worth it! We have lots of fun!
We have sweet potato wrapped with a piece of foil, then we dumped onto the hot coal and let it roasted by itself, the other was the chargrilled corn on the cob and fresh pineapple wedges with my special made ‘Sweet chilli sauce‘ without garlic nor onion (because I can’t eat them).
And I got few carrot, lentil burger that I made from last week, usually I made double the quantity and freeze them for my lazy day, and now is the time lol !
Also, the others was the marinated tofu that I prepared from yesterday. Supposed tofu was bland, that’s why I need to get more flavour for them. The marinate sauce was wonderful, it worked really well with the tofu. Chargrilled over the hot coal, gave it a really good fragrance.
I sliced the aubergine about 1/2cm thickness, rubbed with salt, leaved it for about 20 minutes to draw the bitter taste out of it, wash under the running tap water, let it dry and the aubergine will get softer, will make it easier and quicker to cook. When it cooked over the barbecue with the pineapple wedges. I brushed some of the ‘sweet chilli sauce’ over each sides, it gave the aubergine and pineapple wedges a lovely kick.
Nearly forgot the drink, that was the ‘elderflower cordial with mint’. The elderflower cordial was I made it not long ago, and I picked some fresh mint from my garden, finely chopped it and threw into a big jar, filled with lots ice cube, lemon slices, elderflower cordial and top up with sparkling water. That’ is it, easy! Oops forgot to take the picture. They’re so refreshing for this hot weather. The temperature ran up to 86°F/ 30°C that’s what I found out later of the day.
Lastly, it must be the dessert now. After done all the preparation for the barbecue, and I think cold dessert will be more suitable to finishing the day.
Then I found one pack of strawberry sat in the fridge, and yogurt was one of my everyday breakfast, luckily I made the yogurt on thursday, I think that’s will be enough for me to make the frozen strawberry yogurt. Meanwhile, I liked to roast the strawberries with balsamic vinegar and honey, to give it a bit more interesting. And this recipe partly adapted from Zoe, she made this beautiful ice-cream, but today I liked to make frozen yogurt instead of ice-cream.
Sweet chilli sauce for Corn on the Cob and Pineapple
I prepared this dipping sauce the day before and used for the grilled corn on the cob and grilled pineapple.
- 1/2 cup White vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp Dry red chilli flake
- 2 Fresh red chilli, chopped,
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce or Fish sauce
- 1 Clove of garlic, if you like ( I haven’t use it )
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tsp water to thicken
Method: Just bring the water , sugar and vinegar to nearly boil, add dry and fresh chilli and soy sauce with the garlic, if you used. Add the thickening and let it simmer for one or two minutes, off heat.
Note: This sauce can serve with your BBQ tofu, grilled vegetables, or with home-made falafal, or for your burger’s sauce, or even for the dips with freshly grilled fruits, like pineapple and mango. Just for whatever you like. Enjoy it!
BBQ Tofu Skewer :
Ingredient: ( better to make it overnight before the BBQ )
- 1 pack of Firm tofu cut into 9 portions
For the marinate sauce:
- 2 tbsp Thai 7 spices mix: (Kaffir Lime Leaf, Lemongrass, Coriander Leaf, Green Chilli, Galangal, Ginger and garlic- I used cumin instead of garlic ), mixed with 1/4 cup gram flour or any other flour, 2 tsp lime juice, 1/4 cup light soy sauce and 1 tbsp olive oil, mixed all ingredients to a paste like.
- Use kitchen towel to dry the tofu, mix all the marinate ingredients together, spread over the tofu evenly, (make sure all the sides coated with the sauce), cover with a piece of cling film, and leave in the fridge for overnight.
Roasted Strawberry with Nutella frozen yogurt
- 1 pack Fresh strawberry, 400g
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Raw sugar
- 2 tbsp Agave nectar
- 2 tsp Fresh lemon juice
- 200g Nutella ( I added it for my kids like it, the original recipe without it )
- 600 to 700g home made yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 300°F/ 150°C/ 130°C (fan oven), or gas mark 2.
- Washed the strawberries and halved it, spread on a lined baking tray . Mixed the vinegar, raw sugar, fresh lemon juice and agave nectar together, poured over the strawberries, baked in the preheat oven for about 30 to 45 minutes until the strawberries got a bit dark colour and a bit mushy like.
- Use a potato masher to slightly mashed it, because I liked the frozen yogurt still have some lumpy fruits in it, that’s quite personal! If you don’t like it at all, you can put the roasted strawberries into a food processor to make into more smooth.
- Chilled the fruits until very cold. But I liked to put the chilled strawberries into the freezer half hour before it churned into the ice-cream maker.
- Followed the ice-cream maker to make the frozen yogurt and between the half way, I slowly added the soften nutella into the maker with the fruits and yogurt. Freeze it for about an hour before serve.
** Wish everyone enjoy the most of this nice weather! 🙂