Vegetarian Pad Thai
The recipe partly adapted from yummly, the website has lots of similar recipes, click and browse around! 🙂
Vegetarian Pad Thai
Ingredient: ( can make it for Vegan )
- 200g Rice noodles ( I used egg noodles, because that’s only I got )
- 50g Deep fried tofu, sliced ( use spicy tofu or tempeh )
- 200g Beansprouts
- 1 Green bell pepper , sliced
- 100g Fresh spinach or ‘green pak choy’
- 2 small Carrot, cut into thin strips
- 2 clove of Garlic, finely chopped ( optional )
- 2 Eggs, beaten, ( skip it if you’re vegan )
- 1/4 cup Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Raw sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Soy sauce or fish sauce
- 2 tsp Tamarind paste
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 of each Red and green jalapeno, finely chopped ( can use 1 tbsp of chilli sauce, if you haven’t got the jalapeno )
- 1/2 Lime, juice only
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Roasted peanut, coarsely crushed
- 1 tbsp Toasted sesame seeds
- Fresh coriander/ cilantro , chopped
- sweet chilli sauce ( see the post before )
- Soak the noodles in a bowl of hot water until soft enough to separate for about 10 minutes, drained, add few drops of oil to mix to prevent it stick together and for easy to stir fry. Mix the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, tamarind paste, paprika, chopped jalapeno and lime juice in a separate bowl. Remember to test the taste before use, maybe adjust the rice vinegar, lime juice or sugar more or less, if needed. (Put the bowls and other ingredients next to the stove (this dish cooks quickly).
- In a large wok heat add 1 tsp oil over medium-high heat to make the scramble egg first, set aside. Add 1 tbsp oil and the garlic into the same wok and stir-fry for few seconds. Add the carrot and tofu, stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes just until soft or until a bit golden. Add the pepper, toss all to well combined. Add the eggs and mix. Fold in the softened noodles, and add 1/2 of the soy sauce mixture. Add the bean sprouts and heat through. Pile onto a large platter and garnish with the crushed peanuts, sesame seeds and coriander or wedges of lime if you have.
- Ready to serve, I liked to have a little pot of my own sweet chilli sauce with me., that I can pour the sauce all over the dish and toss all around and EAT IT, Mmm…….., stop talking!
- Remember to add few drops of oil in the cooked noodles, no matter rice noodles or egg noodles, that will prevent they stick together.
- I always keep a jar of my home-made sweet chilli sauce in my fridge, that’s will be really handy for me, no matter is for the noodles or stir fry vegetables, even for chips, try it, you will get surprise by this sauce. 🙂