‘Pandan, White Bean Paste + Vegan Egg Yolk’ Snow Skin Mooncake (班蘭豆茸+素蛋黃 冰皮月餅)
I think I just made one Pandan Chiffon Cake not long ago, that was a really nice cake and full of pandan fragrant and so delicious! Now, I like to add this pandan extract to my mooncake collection, I put a great effort to it and hope it will turn out nice.
If you like it , you will love it more, but if you don’t like it, I won’t force you, is up to you then. 🙂
This ‘pandan with white bean’ Paste, is one of my mooncake filling for this year. I think I prepare quite few different paste already. Because I will play the mix and match game with them, it will be fun!
Meanwhile, have you heard about the ‘Vegan Egg Yolk‘ before, I don’t! But yes, it is definitely ‘vegan egg yolk’, I found it here. I made a little batch from the recipe, but I found that it was a bit too strong for me, and the size was a bit big, so I did made few changes to suit me. The recipe underneath was adjusted already.
‘Pandan, White Bean Paste+Vegan Egg Yolk’ Snow Skin Mooncake ~ (班蘭豆茸+素蛋黃 冰皮月餅)
For the ‘snow skin’ pastry ingredient:
- Click the last post: Custard Snow Skin Mooncake from last year, make one portion, and follow all the steps, chill in the fridge for later to use.
For ‘Pandan White Bean Paste’ Ingredient:
- 120g White Butter beans, ( I used the tinned white butter beans for easier )
- 2 to 3 drops of Pandan extract
- 80g Raw sugar ( I used 40g only )
- 20g Maple syrup
- 40g Vegetable oil
- Drain the butter bean from the tinned and run under the tap water, dry on a tea towel. Use a piece of muslin cloth to squeeze the remaining water out.
- Mash the bean until smooth, or press down through a sieve for smooth paste ( this is the way I like it )~ smooth and creamy like, Mmm yum yum! .
- Sauté the bean into a wok with medium heat for one or two minutes, add the raw sugar and keep stirring until the sugar melt.
- Add the maple syrup and fold until well incorporated, add oil into the bean paste, keep stirring until well combine.
- Add the last ingredient: pandan extract and keep folding and stirring until the paste start a bit dry and not sticky. off heat and cool down.
- Put on a piece of cling film and roll it like a long sausage roll, and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
For the Vegan Egg Yolk ingredient: 素蛋黃
The recipe was adapted from this site.
- 25g Flaxseed meal
- 50g Vegan cheddar cheese, grated ( or use Red Leicester Cheese for non vegan fans )
- 2 tbsp Nutrition Yeast
- 50g Cooked pumpkin puree/ Butternut squash puree/ Sweet potato puree
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- Mix all the ingredients together until to form a dough, rest for 10 minutes, and slightly fold and mix one more time.
- Cover with paper and steam for about 10 minutes and let it cool down.
- Wear a plastic gloves to knead the dough again until smooth and divide into 10g to 15 g equal portions, roll into a ball shape, wrap it with a piece of cling film individually, then keep in the fridge to firm up for later to use.
- If the egg yolk has some left after finish this recipe, keep in the fridge for later to use, it can use for any mooncake.
- Take the ‘pandan white bean paste’ out from the fridge, cut into 26 to 30g each, roll into a ball, press down on a piece of cling film and wrap one piece of vegan egg yolk in the middle, seal the edge, roll into a ball, set aside.
- Take the chilled ‘snow skin cake pastry’ from the fridge, cut into 20g each, roll into a round ball shape, put on a piece of cling film, press down the pastry, put one of the pandan white bean paste on top, collect the sides of the cling film and hold it up and twist, all the pastry and filling will form a ball inside the cling film, easy, seal the edges if still has a gap, all the hard work done! Repeat and finish all the mooncake.
- You can serve straight away!
- Or put into an airtight container, don’t touch each other just leave a small gap between each other to prevent they stick together. because the snow skin pastry will be a bit soft.
- If you want the step by step photos, click in my last post, it shown you all the details.
- The paste can keep in the fridge for three days, otherwise, wrap in a piece of cling film and keep in the freezer.
- When you made: ‘hold up cling film and twist‘ step, if the pastry still has a gap, just slightly push up the side of the cling film, the dough inside will gradually smooth up, this is a great tips to handle the wrapping and won’t get mess.
- Try to add the sugar a little bit at a time for easier to reach your own desire sweetness.
- I made another batch of this recipe to make the ‘matcha’ flavour, just swap the pandan extract to ‘matcha powder’ .