Oven-Dried Tomatoes in Extra Virgin Olive Oil ~ 油漬乾番茄
You must curious about me, how on earth to take such long time to make this dried tomatoes? You just only go to the shop and buy a jar of sun-dried tomatoes with olive oil, and is far too cheaper to make it by yourself.
I thinks some of you knew the answer already! Yes, we did have a same concept, we love the home-made food for our precious family without having any chemical nor any preservation or artificial colouring. We don’t mind to take more time, more work, and more love for our family, right?
But why do I do it in oven-dried, the main reason is the weather, we have no more good sunshine, even the weather is fine but it’s not hot enough. It is the fall season coming.
** I used the tomatoes was the normal size, not the cherry tomato nor the small cherry tomatoes, so it took more than three hours to roast in the oven. The roasting time totally depends on the size of the tomatoes.
Oven-Dried Tomatoes in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1.5 kg Tomatoes ( my tomatoes are golf size like )
- Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp Chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp Dried Basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and wipe dry the tomatoes, cut into quarters in each single tomato, scrape out the seeds and let it dry in the open air, perfectly under the hot sun, it will save a lots of time to stay in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to the lowest setting, mine is 176°F/80°C/60°C (fan oven), but I decide to turn to 250°F/120°C/100°C (fan oven), gas mark 1/2.
- Grind the sea salt onto the quartered tomatoes, sprinkle with the oregano and dried basil, the last thing is the black pepper.
- Place the tomatoes cut side up on a wire rack over a baking tray. Dribble over the olive oil and cook in a low oven for at lease 3 hours, check the tomatoes after the times up, if they’re still soft and not dry, bake for another an hour and check again, until the tomatoes turn to darker colour and start dry. Off heat.
- Keep in the hot oven with the door open for another half hour, take it out and let it cool down completely.
- Sterilize a glass jar with an air-tight lid, put the dried tomatoes in and pour the extra virgin olive oil over it to just cover the top.
- Keep in the fridge for use any recipe that requires sun-dried tomatoes.