Spicy Lentil, Cauliflower Patties/ Burgers with Sriracha sesame sauce
Just bought a large cauliflower from our local bargain corner, what a happy day!
Can’t make the decision to choose which recipe I will use, because I got lots of idea in my mind, such as: cauliflower cheese, macaroni cheese with cauliflower, stir fry,…………but that’s too simple and I want to have a bit challenge. An idea came up to my mind instantly, I remembered that I read some blog before, they made some good idea with cauliflower, why not I have a try.
We always need to make up a decision, no matter that is right or wrong, sometimes in our life. Our parents can make the decision for us when we’re little, but when we’re grow up, we have to make the choice for ourselves, but not all the choices are right. So, when it is good, of course we feel happy. Otherwise, we have to face the result and maybe get suffer of it. But do you know, if we treat them just like the stepping stone in our life journey, that’s will be a good experience for us or warning sign for the future. Whatever they’re right or wrong, we have to accept it and get over it. All those can build up and give us how to be stronger in our mind and thinking.
Oh dear! Am I talking too much nonsense, just get back to our business – cooking!
This recipe adapted from here, She always made some surprise recipes .
Spicy Lentil, Cauliflower Burgers with Sriracha sasame sauce
Ingredient: ( make 6 to 8 burgers )
- 3/4 cup Dried lentil ( I used 1/2 red and 1/2 brown lentil )
- 2 cups Water
- Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Home made Curry powder, ( or use shop buy garam masala or other spice that’s you like )
- 2 cups Cauliflower, grated like rice size
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper, ( or use other chilli pepper that’s you have )
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder ( Optional, I haven’t use it )
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Small size Red chilli, finely chopped ( optional )
- 1 tbsp Mild olive oil
- 1 or 2 tbsp All purpose flour or Gluten-free flour for binding
- Cook the lentil as usual.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/180°C ( fan oven ), or gas mark 6.
- Finely grate the cauliflower on the baking sheet, spread and bake until it slightly crisp on the edge, it will take around 12 minutes.
- Mix with the spices, cooked lentil, salt, lemon zest, oil and flour ( I used gram flour/chickpea flour ) to let the patties can bind together. Shape all ingredients into burger/patties.
- Bake on the lined baking sheet for about 20 minutes.
Now prepare the Sriracha sasame sauce for this special patties, that’s what I think, hehe. And I mixed up what the ingredients that I have in my cupboard. So bear with me, I did some changes with the original sriracha sesame sauce.
** Grind 1/4 cup raw cashew and 1 tbsp sesame seeds into fine powder, add 2 tbsp of gram flour/chickpea flour, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast and 1 tsp smoked paprika, all mix to well incorporated. Add with 3 to 4 tsp sriracha sauce and a cup of coconut milk ( more or less, the more for a thinner sauce, so you need to add a little bit at a time to reach your like ).
Assemble the patties/burgers:
- Top the bun with green vegetables, like spinach/ lettuce/ gem lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, onion rings, pepper slices, whatever you like or you have, then come with the Sriracha sesame sauce, and I like to add a bit extra, pickled jalapenos for a bit more spicy. 🙂
Note: My blender was quite old, so the sauce haven’t got that creamy, So better to use a powerful food processor or blender to grind the cashew nuts, the sauce will get more creamy.