CNY Steam Molasses with Ginger Pudding ~ 黑糖薑汁年糕
Now, get really busy for preparing all the food to celebrate Chinese New Year ~ (31st, Jan), year of the horse is coming !
During Chinese new year, usually I make a lot of the steam pudding, like: CNY Sweet Coconut Rice Pudding (椰汁年糕) & Vegetarian ‘Lo Bo Gao’ (蘿蔔糕) – White Radish Cake. Those are quite traditional and most popular cake or pudding for the Chinese new year festival.
Most of the people like to fry this kind of pudding, just slice it into pieces about 1/2 cm thickness, not too thin, because it is quite hard (sticky) to fry. I heard my friend said that she likes to dip the sliced pudding into the thin batter (tempura batter) and deep fry it.
But one of my friend suggests to add fresh juice of ginger into this pudding, it is quite interesting, so why not have a try. But I make some changes to suit my taste, so you can check the original recipe first and choose which one you like.
I like to use the natural, unrefined molasses, it is rich and full of flavour. But if you like to use other sugar that’s fine, it still can work.
You can check the similar recipe from here.
CNY Steam Molasses Sugar with Ginger Pudding ~ 黑糖薑汁年糕
Ingredient: (8″ cake pan)
- 400g Sweet Glutinous Rice Flour 糯米粉
- 2 tbsp Wheat Starch 澄麵
- 100ml Coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 180g Molasses or Brown sugar
- 300ml Water
- 4 tbsp Fresh Juice of Ginger
- Line a greased paper onto the bottom of the pudding pan, spray oil all over the pan.
- Put sugar and water in a saucepan over heat, cook until the sugar all melt, let it cool down to warm.
- Mix rice flour and wheat starch together, add coconut milk, sugar mixture, oil and juice of ginger, whisk until all well combine to form a thin batter. Sieve the batter through a fine mesh into the pudding pan.
- Transfer the pan into the steamer over high heat and cook for around 1 hour, and insert a toothpick or skewer into the center of the pudding, if the toothpick is clean when it come out, that mean the pudding is cooked; if not, continue to cook for about 5 to 10 minutes to make sure it is cooked.
- Let the pudding cool down completely, remove the pudding pan and brush the top with a layer of oil to make it shiny and protect it from fresh. Wrap with cling film and store in the fridge.
- If you can’t find the molasses, use the brown granulated sugar is fine.
- Make sure whisk the batter thoroughly and sieve through a mesh before put on steam.