Vegan Baked Crispy Triangle for CNY ( 香脆焗油角 )
Hi, everyone, Happy Chinese New Year 2014!
I prepared this snack for you all to enjoy! 😉 ♥
The traditional version of this snack is deep fry it. That is also I ususally make it for all the past years, that’s quite a lots of calories. But today, I like to try different way: bake it! I can tell they are so good when I watch the crispy triangle come out from the oven, they looks so crispy. I will give it a high score, excellent!
This is a really popular traditional Chinese snack for our New Year. Do you think the shape of the triangle looks like our purse? That’s what it mean: a purse full of money. So, you will be more wealthy next year. Believe it or not, is up to you! But anyway, they’re so tasteful.
If you make it smaller size, you won’t feel guilty and eat few more, good idea? I like it, they looks so cute!
Baked Crispy Triangle for CNY ( 焗脆油角 )
For the Pastry Ingredient: For Vegan and gluten-free friendly
- 200g Cake flour/ Self-raising flour (or use gluten-free flour)
- 30g Custard powder
- 2g Pink salt
- 5g Coconut sugar
- 70g Almond butter or soy butter
- 30g White vegetable shortening ( Trex )
- 5 to 6 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
- 100g Roast peanut, finely pulse from food processor
- 75g Coconut sugar or caster sugar
- 50g Roast sesame seeds
- 30g Roast pine nut ( optional )
- For the filling: Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight glass jar.
- For the pastry: Sieve the flour and custard powder in a mixing bowl, add salt and sugar, then rub the butter and vegetable shortening into the dry ingredients until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add one tablespoon of water at a time to the flour mixture, and fold the flour in to combine, then knead the dough until smooth, wrap into a plastic bag and chill in the fridge for half hour.
- Preheat the oven to 380°F/190°C/170°C(fan oven), or gas mark 5.
- Roll the dough into a long, thin log, divide into 8g for each portion, roll into a ball shape, put in between two plastic sheet and roll thinly by a rolling pin, about 2 1/2″ diameter, remove the plastic sheet and hold on your palm, spoon 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of filling on the middle of the pastry, fold to meet the half edge and seal it without any water or egg wash, make the shape like a half circle. You can just seal the edge or make some pattern on the edge like the picture shown or like the cornish pasty.
- Bake in the preheat oven for about 20 to 23 minutes until golden, afterwards leave the oven door open and let the crispy triangle cool down in the oven for about 5 minutes more and remove from the oven and put on a wire rack, you can serve straight away or store in an airtight glass jar to keep it fresh and crispy.
- Some people like to add dessicated coconut with the filling, is up to your own like.
- Use two pieces of plastic sheets to roll the pastry, will make the pastry thinner and without any mess, it is a good tip for you.