Fennel, Kale and Rice Gratin ~ Vegan Friendly
Nothing much will do for tonight, and haven’t plan of anything, so try to find something to occupy and interesting to spent. Then I went to the supermarket and browse around to see anything attract me, and I found one of this: Fennel on the bargain corner.
I know I haven’t do much about fennel before, sounds quite interesting, so I bring this little bulb back to home and do some search for how to make a dish with it. Actually, it pops out a lots of recipe, but some of the ingredients that I haven’t got it on hand, better to choose more simple one. Luckily, I have another pack of kale that I bought it few days ago, so I think why not combine this two main ingredients together and serve with my left over cooked rice from last night.
Even the kids can make this recipe, so simple, so easy, not much work to do. The kale was packed and chopped already, it need wash only. Next, I need to shred up the whole bulb of fennel, and lemon is my family, it always sit in my fridge. And the other ingredients is egg, today I use egg instead of the flaxmeal, but if some of you are vegan, use the egg replacer or faxmeal, it is fine, just mix all the ingredients together and adjust the liquid more or less. Usually, I love to add a teaspoon or more of lemon zest to mix with the breadcrumbs, it gives the breadcrumbs more interesting and flavourful, and the lemon fragrant are so good, try it, I beg you will fall in love with it.
Fennel, Kale and Rice Gratin Vegan friendly
Ingredient : ( serve 3 to 4 )
- 200g Fresh Kale
- 1 bulb Fennel, trimmed, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp Fresh lemon zest
- 2 Eggs, beatened (use 2 tbsp flaxmeal+6tbsp water for vegan)
- 1/2 cup milk (use non-dairy milk for vegan)
- 1 cup cooked rice ( I use brown basmati rice)
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs (1/2 oats and 1/2 breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup Grated hard cheese (like Red Leciester Cheese) ( use vegetarian nutritional yeast for vegan )
- 1 Lemon, zest only
- 1 tbsp Nutritional yeast for topping
- Salt and Black pepper for seasoning
- Wash the kale in clean water and rinse, roughly chop into small pieces.
- Bring a pot of boiling water, add the kale with small amount of salt, blanch for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and squeeze to expel excess water.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil over medium heat in a frying pan add the fennel seeds, cook, stirring until the aroma of the seeds come out. Add the chopped fennel, 1/2 lemon zest and continue to cook, stirring often, until the fennel is very tender and fragarant, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add kale and rice, stir together for another minute. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, off heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C/170°C(fan oven), or gas mark 5.
- Oil a glass baking dish. Beat eggs in a large bowl, (but if you are vegan, mix the flaxmeal with water and leave for 5 mintes first), with the milk or non-dairy milk if you use. Stir in the vegetables mixture and grated cheese (use vegetarian nutritional yeast flakes if for vegan) combine well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil. Scatter some grated cheese or nutritional yeast flake on top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until set and the top golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
- The vegetables are quite flexible, you can use more or less.
- The recipe partly adapted from the New York Times.
- Add some lemon zest to mix with the breadcrumbs for topping, it give the dish more interesting and more flavoured, I suggest you have to try it.