French Blueberry Mille-Feuille ~ Easiest Version
The primary types of pastry have shortcrust pastry, flaky pastry, puff pastry, choux pastry and filo pastry.
If you like pastry, you must like this dessert, Mille-Feuille.
I still can’t say it correctly ~ Mille-Feuille, a vanilla slice, custard slice, as known as the Napoleon, is a pastry of French descent. Traditionally, it’s made of three layers of puff pastry, and filled with custard cream or pastry cream (crème pâtissière), or sometimes it’s filled with whipped cream or jam. The top layer dusted with icing sugar or glazed with icing or chocolate.
Blueberry Mille-Feuille ~ Easiest Version
Ingredient: (serve 4)
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry, 35cm x 23cm
- 250g Cream Cheese
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Icing Sugar ( I only use 1/4 cup )
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Fine semolina
- 1 1/2 cup Blueberry compote ( I made it before and kept in the freezer )
- 1/3 cup Almond Flakes, Toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/180°C(fan oven), gas mark 6.
- Split up the pastry into four equal portions, sprinkle the semolina on a large baking tray, lay the pastry along the tray and use fork to prick holes along all the pastries, then sprinkle with a little bit of sugar and bake for 15 minutes, keep an eye on it whenever you see the pastry puff up, use a spoon to press down flat.
- After the pastry is chilling down, whisk the cream cheese to soft, add icing sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice, whisk all too well combine and test the taste.
- Put one piece of the baked pastry on a serving plate, spread 1/4 of the cream cheese on top, spoon 1/4 of the compote on top and scatter the toasted almond flakes, place another layer of pastry and repeat all the steps until the top layer is the baked pastry. And finish it with the remaining cream cheese mixture and compote on top and scatter the remaining almond flakes.
- Take the Mille-Feuille in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes to allow the cream cheese turn a bit harden for easy to slice.
- Remove the Mille-Feuille out of the freezer, use a sharp knife and slice the pastry into four equal portions.
- You can sprinkle with some icing sugar on top then serve, or serve with more compote with it. It is super tasteful and so yummy.
- Because it is a super easy mode to make this dessert, but if you wish to build your own puff pastry, of course you can, or click on my previous post: Crispy chrysanthemum with Dates 菊花酥 to follow the steps.
- When you bake the pastry, better not to do something away, because you don’t want the pastry puff too much.