Easy Kale, Tomato & Tofu Quiche ~ Vegan, Gluten-free 無麩質
I can’t wait to test out the vegan ‘grated’ cheddar cheese after I worked up for it yesterday.
Although this recipe is labelled for a vegan, but I enclose some tips for non-vegan users as well, so don’t be afraid and keep reading until the end of this post.
I like to practice some of my special gluten-free flour: Juwar/ sorgam flour, it is a cereal grain, the type of sorghum used in gluten-free mixes is creamy-coloured, usually milled to a soft, fine flour. The reason is not a particularly a reason for me, I only like this flour, because it possessess a nutty and gritty flavour. Of course, you can use the all-purpose flour for the crust if you like, even you can buy the ready-made short crust pastry for minimal your work load.
Kale is now recognized as providing comprehensive support for the body’s detoxification system, it can provide you with some special cholesterol-lowering benefits if you will cook it by steaming. Kale’s risk-lowering benefits for cancer have recently been extended to at least five different types of cancer, include cancer of the bladder, breast, colon, ovary, and prostate. It also can now identify over 45 different flavonoids in kale by researchers. It provides excellence sources of nutrition for our health.
To make vegan cream cheese, silken tofu and cashew play an significant part.
Bake blind the crust first to make sure the quiche won’t get a soggy bottom, I love crunchy crust so much.
I wish this recipe can help the vegan, non-vegan, gluten intolerant people enjoy it!
Easy Kale, Tomato & Tofu Quiche ~ Vegan, Gluten-free
Ingredient: ( one 9″ glass baking dish )
For the pastry:
- 270g Plain flour (I use Juwar/ Sorgam flour for gluten-free)
- 140g Pure Soy butter (any butter for non-vegan)
- Water, if needed
For the Filling:
- 250g Fresh kale, chopped and remove the stalk
- 2 to 3 Tomato, Sliced
- 1 cup Home-made Vegan cream cheese* (recipe below) (use dairy cream cheese for non-vegan)
- 100g Coconut cream from can of coconut milk (can use double cream for non-vegan)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Flaxmeal + 6 tbsp water, mixed (use 2 eggs for non-vegan)
- Pinch of red chilli flakes
- Pink Himalayas pink sea salt and freshly grind black pepper
- Vegan Red Leicester Cheddar Cheese, more or less, for topping
For the Vegan cream cheese: (this is only for vegan, use 1 cup dairy cream cheese for non-vegan)
- 1 cup Silken tofu
- 1/4 cup Raw cashews, soaked in water
- 2 tsp/2 pack of Pure Stevia
- 1 to 2 tbsp Vegan nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Lemon juice and zest
- 1 or 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Pink Sea salt
- Freshly grind black pepper
- For the crust: Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/180°C (fan oven), or gas mark 6.Sieve the flour in a mixing bowl, add the cubed soy butter in, use fingertips to rub the flour into the butter until it form breadcrumbs like, if it looks a bit dry, add 1 tablespoon of water at one time and bring all together and amass to form a dough. This crust will be a bit crumbly, but don’t worry, it will be fine for the quiche. Transfer the dough into the greased baking dish, use fingers to push and press down evenly in the dish, prick the dough with a fork. Bake blind with the baking beans in the preheated oven for around 15 minutes, remove the beans and turn the temperature to 380°F/180°C/160°C (fan oven), or gas mark 4 for another 5 to 6 minutes more until the bottom cooked and crisp. Cool down in a wire rack and set aside.
- For the vegan cream cheese: Drain the cashews and add in a food processor with all the other ingredients, whisk until all smooth, set aside.
- For the filling: Wash the kale and remove the hard stalks away, bring a pan of water to boil, add the kale into the boiling water and cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes until the vegetable softer, drain the water and squeeze the water out. Add in the cream cheese, (for non-vegan, just mix the cooked kale with the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl), and with the coconut cream, flaxmeal mixture that you mixed before and the olive oil and chilli flakes and the rest of the remaining ingredients, adjust the salt and pepper by adding more or less. Mix all together and well combined.
- Spread all the fillings evenly on the baked crust, arrange the sliced tomatoes on top and sprinkle the grated vegan cheddar cheese all over the quiche, bake in the hot oven for about 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and serve warm.