South-East Asia Steamed Coconut Cake ~ 東南亞糕點：椰糖發糕
My hands become so itchy when my Facebook page has so many readers post a lot of this kind of beautiful little cakes from them. They are all full of hearty and passionate people, so appreciate to meet them there, thanks so much!
Why is this cake so popular in the countries of South-East Asia? Because they are easy to prepare and also have so many varieties to create, but the most popular are the dark brown sugar, coconut sugar, molasses sugar, pandan flavour, or even the green tea/ matcha flavoured with red bean. They can make it so many colours, like red, pink, gold-yellowish, greenish, even blue as well. But I prefer the natural colouring and the natural flavouring both.
I practiced a little adjusting from all those fantastic recipes; personally, I quite like the cake a slightly bit more moist and lighter by adding 2 tbsp of oil in the cake. At the same time, I’ll mix a pinch of sea salt to the batter to stand out of the flavour.
Steamed Coconut Cake ~ 東南亞糕點：椰糖發糕
- 125g-140g Coconut sugar or molasses of your choice
- 100ml Coconut milk (can use other milk of choice, or only use water)
- 325g Self-raising flour sieved
- 2 tbsp Light olive oil (optional)
- 180 to 190ml Water ( can use fresh orange juice or pandan water instead )
- Pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Put the coconut sugar and water or pandan juice of your choice into a saucepan, over medium heat to melt the sugar. Let it cool down.
- Add coconut milk into the cool down sweet liquid, sieve in the flour and use spatula to mix into a smooth batter without any lumps left. Spoon into the small greased bowl with only 3/4 full.
- Bring a large bowl of water to the boil, and steam the buns for around 8 to 10 minutes. Then serve.
- I like to add a small amount of oil into the batter, it makes the cake more moisture, but it is optional.
- Personally, I like to add a pinch of salt into the cakes, it’ll bring the unique taste of the coconut sugar.
- It must be plenty of boiling water and steam over high heat, then the cakes will reach to a natural crack and smile beautifully. That’s the people get mad to a pursuit of this cake.