Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
Don’t you suppose I get serious about making vegan cheese, like the vegan ‘grated’ cheddar cheese, vegan cream cheese, vegan ricotta cheese and now even approach to the vegan mozzarella cheese. What do you think I am, crazy? Ha!
I turn my kitchen to be a mini lab during last few weeks, here is my diary:
1. Firstly, I adapted the recipe from Artisan Vegan Cheese, the cheese mainly made from the tapioca starch, it looks similar to the actual one, I became amazed by the batch came out when I shaped it and store in water. You can see the photo, are they look familiar?
The following day, I tried it on a pizza, like the normal way to prepare it, but the vegan cheese didn’t melt nor burnt, they try out quite bland, was not my expect. 😦
2. A week afterward, I am ready to sample the other recipe that I found on the web, here. It is not the same colour as the one that I made it before, part of the ingredient included the cashew, tahini and nutritional yeast, it set in the fridge for overnight. And I added to my Italian bread to make the open sandwich for my lunch. It took a bit of time to get brown, but not melted. The taste was better than the first try, but I still not very happy about it.
Am I just expecting too much here? I don’t know either, I think someone might have a good recipe for the vegan mozzarella cheese out there somewhere. Try again, that’s what in my mind after all the test and try!
3. The rest of the workweek, I got to take in another attempt. This time, I like to combine the two recipes together and did some adjustment. Cause I like the first one, set easily, you can see the picture, it looks so real, aren’t they? In the meantime, I also like the taste of the second one is better with the cashew and nutritional yeast. After a few calculations, the recipe was ready to go.
The factors included the tapioca starch, the cashew, and I added 1 tbsp nutritional yeast in the formula. Let’s see the result later because it is in the fridge to let it firmer. The next day, the cheese was set, I used a melon scoop to make it into small mozzarella balls and sat in a bowl of ice cold water. The texture was a bit better than the second one but softer. It could scoop out, but when it is soaked in water, it couldn’t keep the shape nicely and it need a test taste later…to prove it work or not!
Result for the 3rd: the cheese is a bit too soft to keep the shape, but test under the grill, it can brown and the texture that I felt was a bit too soft. I think someone will like it. Here is the recipe, partly adapted from here, and there is lots of different vegan cheese in here as well.
4. I still like to get a small bit more improvement, I wish this will be the final one! So I mixed up the third and the first recipe together.
Here is how I prepare: Ingredient: 1/2 cup Soy yogurt or any yogurt you like; 1/4 cup Raw cashews, soak in water for overnight; 1/2 cup water, divide in two; 2 tsp sea salt; 2 tbsp Tapioca starch; 1/2 tbsp Agar Agar; 1/4 tsp Xanthan gum; 1 tbsp Nutritional yeast (it could add up to 2 tbsp for more flavour)
- Add the yogurt, cashews, 1/4 cup of the water and salt in the blender, process until emulsified. Transfer to a container, cover with a cling film loosely, set aside in the room temperature for 12 to 24 hours until tangy.
- Add the tapioca starch in the yogurt mixture, whisk to well combine.
- In another bowl, mix the agar with the xanthan gum, the nutritional yeast and the remaining 1/4 of the water together until a smooth batter.
- Place the yogurt mixture in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add the agar batter, stir it constantly as you can, the batter will start to thicken quickly, let it cook until smooth, glossy and stretchy. Then off heat.
- Prepare a bowl of ice cold water and 1 tsp of salt, make the cheese ball by using an ice-cream scooper, drop the cheese balls into the salty water and keep in the fridge. It can keep in the fridge for a few days.
- It is quite adventurous, enjoyable game, although I accept been through loads of failure and disappoint moment, but it’s worth every moment and every experiment afterward.
- I prefer the cheese a bit salty, if you don’t like it, feel free to reduce the quantity of salt.
- The nutritional yeast is my personal like, you can skip it if you can’t find it.
- The nutritional yeast is a good vegetarian source of Vitamin B-12, for the body involved in the production of red blood cells and for producing and maintaining myelin, the protective insulation around your nerves. It is high in protein and fiber and is a good source of folic acid, even gluten-free as well.
- Personally, I like the 4th one, but I need to say that perhaps somebody doesn’t like it, that’s alright. Anyway, we can’t compare to the dairy one, remember it is for vegan!
2～1/4 杯 生腰果，用水浸八小時以上
3～1/2 杯 水
4～2 茶匙 海盬
7～1/4 茶匙 xantham gum (增加伸展度，可以不用)
8～1 -2 湯匙 nutritional yeast
～ 首先將乳酸，生腰果，1/4 杯水和盬放入攪拌機內，打至完全幼滑。若果你的攪拌機不是强力的，就要分數次去打，中途要讓攪拌機休息片刻。打完之後放室温12 至24 小時，若果室温太熱，最好放入雪柜。
~ 用另外一個容器，將agar agar 粉，xanthan gum, nutritional yeast 和剩餘的1/4 杯水，用手打蛋器打至完全混合的漿狀。
~ 將混合好的乳酸放入—個小煲内，中小火加熱，加入 agar 混合液，—邊煑，—邊攪拌，這時候，會開始燶稠起來的，離火。
~ 預備—冰水，加入—茶匙salt, 用雪糕勺，像挖雪糕似的將煮好的芝士，挖出—球球似的，然後放入冰水內。最好儲存在—個有蓋的密封盒内，放入雪柜存放，最好在數天內用完。