Vegan Macaroni with Cauliflower Cheese Sauce
Having a few days of detox drink, like green smoothies, lots fruit smoothie, even Medjool dates with water, etc… Tonight, I choose to have a proper meal for myself. Bought a large head of cauliflower in the market, I think I can make something with it, not only the cauliflower cheese, but the gluten-free macaroni cheese with cauliflower sauce, try to eliminate the carbohydrate in my diet.
I like the idea to make the bechamel sauce without any flour and butter, only with cauliflower and cashew to thicken. This recipe could be without any recipe, just create by what I like and it also deadly easy to prepare. That’s why you can’t find any fat, any sugar nor any gluten in it (although I’m not allergic to gluten, but I wish I can hold as less as possible).
Vegan Macaroni with Cauliflower Cheese Sauce (Gf friendly, Soy-free)
Ingredient: (serve: 3)
- 250g Macaroni or Gluten-free pasta
- 1/2 of a large Cauliflower
- 1/2 cup Raw Cashew, soak with water for 3 hours
- 1 cup of Frozen beans
- 1/2 tsp Ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Garlic powder, Onion powder if you like, optional
- Pink Himalayan sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Nutritional Yeast flakes or Cheese powder
- Cook the pasta by following the package instruction, drained and set aside.
- Chop the cauliflower and cook in a pot of boiling water until soft, drained and reserve the water.
- Put the cashew nuts and cauliflower in a blender with half of the reserved water, process until all smooth, if the mixture are too thick, add a bit more of water if necessary.
- Pour the cauliflower mash back in the pot over medium heat, add all the seasoning and adjust the salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta back to the cauliflower mixture, and fold to well combine.
- Serve with the nutritional yeast or cheese powder immediately, top with more black pepper if you like.
- In this dish, you may notice that I haven’t used any oil or butter; anyway, you can add a knob of butter to make the sauce creamier.
- Also, you can put under a hot grill to melt the cheese sauce before serve.