Loaded Vegan Nachos with Nacho Cheese Sauce
Nacho cheese sauce is one of my favourite cheese sauce recently. Why is recently, because I just find out how to make it to suit my strict diet (without any garlic, onion)!
I did have little experience to progress this before, only not really satisfy for my desire. And this one came out, I know it is the one that I looking for.
Not many ingredients that I need to prepare, then why not have a try, I receive more confidence by this round. Because I can’t use garlic nor onion, so I need to add something else to add the body, and I just have a bell pepper on hand, that’s come to rescue me at the right time. Add potato and toasted cashew to give the sauce thicker and richer. Meanwhile, the jalapeno pepper gives the sauce the real kick, but I can’t have too hot, that’s why I only use 1/2 of it, and that’s enough for me and my kid though.
I highly recommend this vegan cheese sauce to you, wonderful, delicious!
The vegan nacho cheese sauce recipe is partly modify from serious eat.
And the loaded vegan nachos recipe is from here.
Nacho Cheese Sauce
For the Nacho Cheese sauce:
- 2 tbsp Organic Pure coconut oil
- 1/2 Jar of Jalapeno peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced (I only use 1/4)
- 1/4 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Smoke Paprika
- 1/2 Red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp Hot chilli sauce, like Frank’s (I use home-made harissa sauce)
- 1/4 Medium size Potato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Roasted cashews
- 1 or 2 tbsp Jalapeno peppers pickling liquid
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Water, more or less
- 1/2 cup Almond milk
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, add jalapenos pepper and cook, stirring.
- Add cumin, paprika and cook until fragrant and starts to sizzle.
- Ass the potatoes, bell pepper and cashews and cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes are fully tender, about few minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a high-powered blender. Add hot sauce, jalapeno pickling liquid, and a pinch of salt. Start with a low speed and slowly increase speed to high. Blend on high speed until completely smooth, for about 2 minutes. Add water a few drops at a time as necessary to thin to your desired consistency. Season to taste.
Press mixture through a sieve, using the bottom of a spoon or a ladle to get it through. This vegan cheese sauce can be stored in a glass container with lid in the fridge for up to 1 week. To reheat, microwave in 30 second or more, stirring in between, and adding extra water to loosen sauce as necessary.
- This sauce can be more hotter by adding more jalapenos peppers by your like.
- Keep this delicious cheese sauce in the fridge, can be so handy for your pasta dish, or for corn tortilla chip dip.
For the Loaded Nachos Ingredient:
- 1/2 pack Original Tortilla chips, more or less
- 1 cup Vegetarian Bean Chilli (I use 1 cup red kidney beans, drained and rinsed from a can)
- 1/2 can Spicy Vegan Refried Beans
- 1/2 can Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Tomato Salsa (or buy from shop)
- 1/2 cup Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup Black olives
- 1/2 cup Pickled jalapeños, sliced
- 14 cup Fresh Coriander leaves, chopped
- Guacamole sauce (homemade or buy from shop)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/170° (fan oven) or gas mark 5.
- Layer 1/3 of the chips in the bottom of a baking dish, dollop with 1/3 of bean chilli or kidney beans and 1/3 of the refried beans. Drizzle with 1/3 of cheese sauce, then sprinkle with half of the black beans.
- Layer with remaining 1/3 of chips. Dollop with 1/3 of chili and 1/3 of refried beans. Drizzle with 1/3 of cheese sauce. Transfer to oven and bake, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Top with half of salsa, tomatoes, olives, jalapeños, coriander, and a big dollop of guacamole. Serve immediately with remaining salsa and guacamole on the side.
- If you can’t find the black beans, bean chilli or the refried beans, you can use what you have. Sometimes, I love to use the lentil, black-eye beans as well, it’s all up to you.
- I haven’t got enough ingredients to make salsa, just dice up some cucumber, tomato, celery, bell pepper and mix up with a small bunch of chopped coriander, all those are flexible, just make up your own.