Vegan Snow Skin Mooncake with White kidney bean paste with Pandan ~ 班蘭,白豆茸冰皮月餅
It is not far to our Annual Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival (農曆八月十五, 中秋節), it is in 8th, September, this year.
Granting to the tradition, people will buy mooncake to celebrate along the nighttime of the Mid – Autumn Festival, or some people like to build their own mooncake for healthier and cheaper alternative. I am not the odd one out, so I prepare this popular one, snow skin with a white kidney bean paste. Usually, lotus seed is the most common and popular filling for mooncake, but I run out of good quality lotus seeds, so brave to try white kidney beans instead. But I can tell you, it is good enough to compare with the lotus seeds. Along with the pandan flavour, lovely!
The snow skin pastry can create so many different colours, compare to the traditional mooncake. But I like to adapt the natural colour more than the artificial colouring. I have few ideas to achieve the natural colour from fruit and veg, you can refer to read the note, at the end of this post.
Vegan Snow Skin Mooncake with White Kidney bean paste with Pandan ~ 班蘭,白豆茸冰皮月餅
For the snow skin pastry: (I only make 1/2 portions)
- 50g Glutinous flour
- 50g Rice flour
- 25g Wheat Starch
- 25g Plain flour
- 40g – 50g Sugar (I use 8 pk Pure stevia)
- 250ml Non-dairy milk (I use coconut milk)
- 20ml Vegetable oil
- Mix all the ingredients into smooth batter, pour over a sieve to make sure without any lumps. Transfer to a greased container, steam over high heat for around 25 minutes until cooked. Let it cool down a while, when it’s still warm, but touchable, knead the mixture into a smooth dough and wrap with cling film and chill in the fridge.
- This time, I make half of the dough plain white, and half of it with beet colour. I cook one fresh beet, roughly chopped and cook with some water just cover the beet, let it simmer for a few minutes and get the juice and add in the cooked dough, wrap with cling film and store in the fridge.
For the White kidney bean paste with pandan :
- 1 can White Kidney Beans, drained
- 1/4 cup Light brown sugar
- 2 drops Pandan Extract, more or less
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Drain the white kidney beans from the can, use few kitchen towels to absorb all the liquid from the beans.
- Place the beans in a food processor and process until smooth. In a medium saucepan or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the bean paste and cook, keep stirring 3 to 5 minutes or until the mixture is dry, (it can come off easily from the side of the pan when you stir it). Add the pandan extract, and fold in the bean paste until all well combined, or you can create it like marble effect, just take few folding. Off heat, let it cool down. It can keep in a covered container in the fridge until ready to use.
- If you like to build a different natural colour for the snow skin mooncake. Divide the dough into equal portions (it depends on how many colours you like).
- For red colour: use juiced cranberries, juiced beets or strawberries.
- For green colour: use 8 leaves of pandan with 100ml water, process in a blender, and strain the juice.
- For the black or grey colour: use black sesame seeds grind to powder, more or less to achieve the colour you like.
- For the yellow colour: use yellow beets, carrot juice, custard powder or turmeric powder, more or less.
- For the purple or blue colour: take 15 fresh blueberries with 100ml water, bring to the boil, cool down and get the juice. Or boil purple cabbage with water and get the juice. Even the juice of fresh blackberries will do.
- For the brown colour: use cocoa powder.