Vegan Carrot & Walnut Cake ~ 紅蘿蔔，合桃蛋糕（純素）
Don’t know how long I can cope of this freezing cold weather -2°C to -5°C my dear. Outside the house, everything stands still, if it is not windy. If not, the gale will bring even colder to hit my face.
Right now, I am shivering in the dinning room and writing this post. Although I was wrapping with two jumpers already, and the heating is on. It feels like sitting in a large cold room. My brain gets stuck.
That is why this cake come out, because I need something to do to get more physical movement. Also, I need some sweet thing to cheer me and keep me going through this weather.
I found this recipe from Vegan society, but I got so worried about the liquid that the original recipe adapted. It called for 200ml of water and 200ml of vegetable oil. Such a large amount of liquid for only 280g of flour, the cake batter must be too thin! I think it won’t set after bake. Then I decided to reduce the liquid quantity to 180g each before my cake gets gets disastrous. Here is my first attempt.
After the cake bake in a tray tin for the first 25 minutes, I test it still a bit soft. Then I let it bake for another 10 minutes, it comes out golden brown and looks so nice. So, I let it cool on a rack. When I try to slice it, I find out that the cake can set after bake, but I think it is a bit too moist and the texture is a bit loose to my expectation. The taste is excellent, but I don’t feel satisfied.😦
Afterward, I make another try straight away. This time, I try to reduce the liquid to 280ml in total. And the sweetness, I reduce the sugar content to 120g (the original quantity was 170g). In addition to, I add one tablespoon of ground flaxmeal to bind together all the ingredients. Fingers cross! I wish this would come out of the oven nicely and beautifully.
Ta Da, here is the one that I expect! Big applause! I love it!🙂
Vegan Carrot & Walnut Cake
- 225g Carrot, grated
- 280g Wholemeal Self-raising flour
- 170g Chopped walnut and raisins (I mix half and half)
- 120g Light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Ground Flaxmeal
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 200ml Water
- 80ml – 100ml Vegetable oil or Light olive oil
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- Pinch of Sea salt
- Drop of vanilla extract, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/ 190°C/ 170°C Fan oven, or gas mark 5.
- Mix the dry ingredients altogether, mix all the wet ingredients as well.
- Add 1/3 of the dry mixture into the wet mixture, use spatula to fold all in until well combined. Then add the remaining mixture and mix into a thick cake batter.
- Pour in a lined baking tin and bake in the middle shelf for around 45 minutes, if you use a round baking tin. But if you use a tray tin, bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack before slice.
- This is a vegan cake, so logically, the texture will be a little bit different with those cake contains egg.
- You can adjust the sugar content to 170g for the original recipe, but I don’t like too sweet in my cake.
- If you don’t like raisins, you can top up the walnuts to 170g in total. That’s all you choice.