Vegan Chickpeas Cheese Pie for Pi Day + (Homemade Vegan Red Leicester Cheese)
Nearly forgot the pi/π day today, thanks for the blogger new post to remind me.
To get something success perfectly, it must have lots of things to assist it. I can understand it deeply in my mind.
You feel miserable, do you?
It had to appreciate a few days ago, I made my first vegan Red Leicester cheese. I made vegan cheddar cheese, vegan cream cheese, vegan ricotta cheese and vegan mozzarella cheese before. But I haven’t made any Red Leicester cheese. So, I think why not I have put my fingers on it. Actually, it is fun to make vegan cheese. And the result is excellent that’s I can tell you. It does not only look good, taste good, also it can be grated or even melt on a grill as well. Fantastic recipe!
About the cheese recipe, it said to use the carrot. I know it is for the cheese colour. But I haven’t got any carrot or sun-dried tomato in my cupboard. Then, I found out I still have a half jar of the grilled red pepper sitting there. I only took few second hesitated, will it work or not!!! But I still like to take a risk. The first experiment may fail, it is quite normal I think!
This cheese is the main topic that I want to emphasize here.
And the hand pie is so easy to makeup, I did it between 2 hours and just the right time for dinner.
Vegan Chickpeas Cheese Pie for Pi Day + (Homemade Vegan Red Leicester Cheddar cheese)
Ingredient: (make 6 large pies)
For the Pastry:
- 2 1/2 cup All purpose flour/ Plain flour
- 1/4 tsp Pink Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter, I use 110g
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp Soymilk
For the Filling:
- 1 can Chickpea, drained and rinsed
- 250g Button mushroom, sliced
- 100g Homemade Red Leicester Cheddar cheese, recipe see below
- 1/4 tsp Ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cayenne pepper
- For the pastry: Sieve the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut the vegan butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture.
- Use your fingers to cut it into the flour.
- Add the milk and knead with your hands until stiff dough forms.
- Roll the dough into a ball, wrap it in a plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes before ready to use.
- For the filling: Put 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan, saute the mushroom until soft. Add the chickpeas and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Put the Leicester cheese and the rest of the ingredients in the cooking mixture until the cheese melt. It is not necessary to add salt in this case. Because the cheese will be salty enough. The fillings will get thicker by itself after the cheese melt later. Can add some water if too dry. Off heat and let it cool down.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/170°C fan oven.
- Divide the dough into 6 portions. Roll out the dough and use a big cookie cutter or use a large bowl like me. Now is ready to fill.
- Spoon the fillings on the top half and press with your fingers to seal the edges so the filling won’t come out when baking.
- I use a fork to press and seal the pie edge and make few prick on top of the pie.
- Brush with nut milk and sprinkle with black sesame seeds or nutritional yeast flakes. It is optional.
- Place the hand pies in a big baking pan and bake in preheated oven for about 20-23 minutes until golden.
Homemade Red Leicester Cheddar Cheese:
This recipe is adapted from one green planet. But I did some modified.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 4 hours or overnight
- 1/2 cup baby carrots (I use grilled red pepper from a jar. Or use the sun-dried tomato will work well.)
- 1 cup rice milk (I use nut milk)
- 1/4 cup agar flakes, (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp mesquite seasoning*, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika,
or 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, any of these to taste (I use smoked paprika)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Sea salt
- Pinch of ground turmeric
- Combine the cashews, carrots (if you use it), and nut milk in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 5 to 8 minutes. or until the carrots are tender-crisp. If you plan to make slices, stir in the agar flakes and continue to simmer for 5 minutes longer.
- If you use sun-dried tomato or grilled red pepper, that doesn’t need to cook with the cashews.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor along with the remaining ingredients and process until all smooth. Scrape down the sides from time to time.
- Allow cooling. Prepare a loaf pan or two mini loaf pans. Lined with a piece of cling film. Pat in as smoothly as you can. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight before serve.
- If you skipped the agar flakes for a spread, transfer to a container with a lid. Allow to cool, then cover and chill for later to serve.
- The link above has another recipe without using the vegan cream cheese. So, it’s decided on which one for you with all the ingredients that you have.