Vegan Baked Curry Puff
Forgot this post that I wrote a long time ago. Today I just have some spare time to search my blog’s draft. Accidentally and surprisingly found it. Do they look adorable?
Such so easy to prepare this curry puff. You can use any leftover ingredients that sit in your fridge, finish them off without wasting.
You can buy the shortcrust pastry from the shop or make it by your own. I rarely buy any ready-made pastry. I love to make my hands in flour. And the shape of this puff can create by yourself. Just fold into a triangle and seal the edge should pretty enough!
Vegan Baked Curry Puff
For the filling:
- 3 large Potatoes
- 2 cups Spiced tofu, vegan minced or tempeh
- 2 sprig of Curry leaves or few Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup Frozen garden peas
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 1/4 tsp Home-made curry powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink sea salt
For the Pastry:
- 4 cups Plain flour
- 2/3 cup Chilled Nut butter, soy butter or solid coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 3/4 cup Water, more or less
For the Brushing:
- 2 tbsp water or nut milk, mix with pinch of turmeric powder
- For the Pastry: Sieve the flour with the salt in a mixing bowl, add cubed butter and work with finger tips to rub all the butter into the flour, until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add water a little bit at a time, and bring all together to form a dough. Wrap with a piece of cling film and chill in the fridge for few hours or overnight perfectly. Remove from the fridge half hour before use.
- For the Filling: Peel the potatoes, cut into small cube size. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add the tofu or tempeh or whatever you use, stir fry until it golden brown, add potatoes, peas and quick stir, let it cook for another 2 minutes, add all the spices and curry leaves, seasoning with sea salt. Add 1 cup of water to cook until the potatoes soft and fluffy. And add another 1/2 of water and keep the heat for another 1 minutes, off heat, it will maintain the fillings has a bit of sauce and moist.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/180°C (fan oven) or gas mark 6.
- To make the puff: Dust the table with flour and roll the dough out with a rolling pin. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the circle (you can use whatever size you like), spoon some fillings on the middle of the pastry and fold into half moon shape, seal the edge like a Cornish pasty. Brush the top with the turmeric mixture. Place on a lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
Note: You don’t need to make the shape like mine. Just fold the pastry in half to form a triangle shape will be fine.
Translate to Chinese:
1 1/4 茶匙自製咖喱粉
喜馬拉雅粉紅海鹽 1 茶匙
2/3 杯冷凍的素黃油、 大豆黃油或固體椰油
1) 做餅皮： 將麵粉與鹽篩入碗中，加入切粒的黃油，用指尖將黃油擦入麵粉中，直擦至像麵包糠的粉粒。在這時候，逐小的添加水份，然後把所有粉搓揉成一個麵團。用一塊保鮮膜包好，放在冰箱或可以存一個晚上。第二天除從冰箱取出，放室溫半小時後方可使用。
2) 做咖哩餡： 土豆去皮，切成小方塊的大小。用中大火將煎鍋里加熱，加入豆腐粒或素肉碎，翻炒至金黃色，加薯仔粒、青豆。快炒，讓它再煮 2 分鐘，然後添加所有的香料，咖喱葉，加海鹽調味，炒香。加 1 杯水將豆和薯仔煮至柔軟。最後加入另外的半杯水，再煮1 分鐘，稍為收汁，但不要太乾。關火。待涼一會。
3) 預熱烤箱至 400 ° F/200 ° C/180 ° C （風扇烘箱）
4) 灑麵粉在工作枱上，用擀麵杖擀開麵團。用 cookie cutter 吸出你喜歡的大小圓形，放大概一湯匙的咖哩餡料在上半部份，折疊成半月形狀密封邊。用薑黃粉和水混合掃面。排放在烤盤上，烤 15 分鐘直到金黃色。