Vegan Banana & Coconut Waffle ~ gf
I fancy waffle recently for myself. By taking a challenge to make a crispy vegan waffle without any egg. Any idea for me?
I did make some waffles with egg long time ago for my kids. Those are crispy and smell lovely. But having a waffle without egg, will be it crispy enough? Not so sure! Anyway, bloggers are telling me that they’re so crunchy enough compare to the eggy one. Will I have a try?
I have blended some gluten-free flour for some special occasion. Because one of my friends has Celiac disease. But I like to treat her a nice cake or dessert sometimes. That’s why I kept one jar of home-blend gluten-free flour in my pantry. You can see I have some recipes are gluten-free among my blog.
Today, I set up a risky task for myself. Waffle neither any egg nor gluten. Let’s pray for me now!
I adapt the coconut flour for this waffle, not only I like to add a bit more flavour. Because I bought a large pack of coconut flour with a really good deal. So, ought to finish it before the certain date. Adding a large mashed banana to the batter, just want to cut down the sugar. Anyway, you can see the ingredients have no sugar at all. Just have 2 tbsp of real maple syrup for the sweetener, all natural stuff.
This recipe has been making my family happy enough. One of them asks for chocolate, and the others ask for peanut butter. Fine for me, I can work it out to fulfill all their desires. Just add all to meet their requirements. Satisfying? I wish they will appreciate.
About the topping, I just prepare all they normally like. Just leaving them mix and match! Have fun!🙂
The regular waffle will take 4 to 5 minutes to cook from the waffle machine. And I think of the batter has no egg, and the flour has no gluten in it. So I try to add 3 tsp baking powder to help the batter lighter. Wish it can work out nicely! Also, I cook it a bit longer, it take 8 minutes for the heavy batter. The first try, I only set it 6 minutes. Oops, when I open the lid, half of the waffle still hangs on the upper lid. Then, I give the second one 8 minutes. It works! Maybe you can try one more minutes to brown it nicely. But I can’t wait to test it out. It is crunchy outside and soft inside. And the brownish colour just want I expect. Well done!
Vegan Coconut Waffle ~ Gluten-free
Ingredient: Make 8 squares
- 100g Coconut flour
- 120g Home-blended Gluten-free flour, (can buy it from shop or use the regular plain flour)
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- Pinch of pink sea salt
- 1 tsp Cocoa powder
- 1 Flax-egg (1 tbsp flax-meal + 3 tbsp water, mix and set aside for 5 minutes)
- 1 Large ripen Banana, mashed
- 60g Peanut butter (I use crunchy version)
- 30ml Vegan butter or Coconut oil, melted (I use vegetable oil)
- 30ml/ 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 360g Nut milk
- 50g Vegan Chocolate chips (optional)
For topping ideas :
- Maple syrup, toasted almond slices, banana slices, fresh fruits or berries, peanut butter, fruit preserves, ice cream or melted chocolate.
- Sieve the two different flours with and the baking powder, cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl. Add the vegan chocolate chips and set aside.
- Mix the mashed banana with the flax-egg mixture. Add peanut butter, melted butter, maple syrup together until smooth.
- Add the nut milk into the prepared dry ingredients, whisk until smooth. Then pour the mashed banana mixture and whisk until well incorporated. Cover with a clean tea towel and rest for 1/2 hour.
- Now, you can prepare your toppings of your choice.
- Preheat the waffle machine according to the instruction. Brush with oil or melted butter. Pour a certain amount of the batter in the waffle mould. Put the lid down and wait for around 8 minutes until golden brown. The time consuming depends on how thick is your batter you put in. So, judge by your wisdom.🙂
- Put the cooked waffles on a wire rack and cover with a clean tea towel/ cloth.
- Serve with your favourite chosen toppings. Enjoy!
- For non-vegan fan, you can add one egg to substitute the flax-egg.
- You can add one more tablespoon of maple syrup or honey for your sweet tooth.
- You can reheat the waffle back to the preheat machine, if they get cold. It is nice to serve hot with more maple syrup or chocolate sauce. Enjoy!🙂
Translate to Chinese:
100g 椰子粉，(或其他無麸質的粉，例如oat flour)
120g 無麸質的面粉 (自己混合的，或超市買的亦可)
3 茶匙 發粉
1 湯匙亞麻籽粉+3 湯匙水，拌勻待用
60 g 花生醬
30 ml 楓糖漿
4) 將你的 waffle 預熱(按照自己的機內附上的說明書，因為每部機可能不一樣的)
6) 將焗好的waffles 放在架上保持乾脆，要用布蓋上保持温度。