Healthy Steamed Okra (秋葵) with Vegan XO Sauce
Okro, known in many English-speaking countries as ladies’ fingers, is a flowering plant in the mallow family. It is valued for its edible green seed pods
Okra can be a side dish if you want. Okra is one of those vegetables that you either love or hate. There seems to be almost no in between. Like the marmite! Agree?
I think people get the bad experience with eating or cooking okra’s slime! Okra is notorious for producing slime when you cut it and cook it. It’s just like the aloe vera plants. But here, I will tell you a few techniques or tips for reducing all that sliminess. That’s if you ‘re willing to try.
What is the healthiest way to cook vegetables?
Steamed, of course! I choose this way to maintain the freshness and most of the nutrients from the okra. Also, the shortest time to cook, the less of the slime come out. Trust me, it will become your favourite vegetables later.
Other tips to get less of the slime from the okra, just scrub the okra under the tap water without any cutting nor trimming. Just trim the cap off before you cook or steam.
Or, like the other people, soaking it in a solution of 1 cup of vinegar mixed with 1 quart of water for about 1 hour. But I haven’t tried it before. Sorry!
Actually, okra has so many ways to cook. Like stir fry, boil, roast or stew. I tried ‘stir fry’ before, it is so nice. Same as well, trim the cap off before you cook it.
The XO sauce here that I used, just click on the highlighted link. You’ll get the recipe from my post before.
- 1 Pack Fresh Okra (200g), rinsed
- 2 tbsp Homemade XO sauce
- Place the steaming basket with the trimmed okra over the boiling water. Cover with a lid and cook until tender but still crisp. It’ll take approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Plunge it over the cold running tap water to keep the okra bright green and tender.
- Arrange on a serving plate, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil or a dollop of butter. Spoon the XO sauce over the steamed okra. Then serve.
- You can sprinkle with sea salt over the steamed okra for more flavour. But I like it without. Because the XO sauce got so much flavour on its own.
- Or you can sprinkle with vegan nutrient yeast flakes if you haven’t got the XO sauce on hand.