Vegan Sweet Potato & Aubergine/ Eggplant Lasagna (+Cashew cream cheese recipe)
Do you remember the vegan cheddar cheese that I made before? The cheese is not only melt-able, and also slice-able. And today, the cheese is revamped by the Bunny Kitchen, 10 minute vegan cheese again.
The original recipe was shared by the Vegan Society. But Poppy slightly updates the recipe, that makes it even simpler to prepare. And a few more options to increase the cheesy tang and seasoned so well.
The cheese has more flavor that I like it so much! She suggests to use Kappa carrageenan for a firm cheese. Even without the freezer that will slice and grate perfectly. But this ‘Kappa carrageenan’ is a bit expensive for me to afford. So I adapted to use the other option: ‘veg-gel’ instead. It still works well after I put the cheese in the freezer until it’s firm.
To make this lasagna, I need to prepare two different cheeses. One is the soft cream cheese, and the other is the cheddar cheese on top for melting. Usually, I like to make vegan ricotta cream cheese. Think of I haven’t got any tofu in my fridge. I decide to use cashew nuts alone, but omit the tofu. This is my first try to use cashew only for the cream cheese.
Vegan Sweet Potato & Aubergine/ Eggplant Lasagna (+Cashew cream cheese)
For Vegan smoked cheddar cheese: – (recipe adapted from Poppy)
- 2 cups Nut milk of choice, (or use Almond creamer for better result)
- 2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 – 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 4 tbsp Arrowroot or Tapioca Starch
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika for smoked flavour
- 1/2 cup Vegan Nutrient Yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp Veg Gel or 2 tbsp Agar Agar
- Simply blend the ingredients into a blender until well combined.
- Pour into a saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes until thicken, then pour into a container to set.
- Leave to harden in the fridge or freezer to make it easier to grate.
For Vegan Cashew Cream cheese:-
- 3/4 cup Raw cashew, soaked in hot water for an hour, drained
- 1 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Water
- Drain the cashews from water and dry with a thick tea towel.
- Add all the ingredients in a powerful blender, like Vita-mix. But I only have an old blender, so it need few more pauses to cool down the engine. Blend until smooth (mine still have few grits, but never mind).
- Transfer the cream cheese in a container with lid and chill in the fridge. And I start to prepare the vegetables.
For the Lasagna :-
- 200g Sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Courgette, medium size, sliced
- 1/2 Aubergine/ eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 can Chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Brown sugar
- Handful of fresh basil leaves and fresh oregano leaves
- Pink sea salt and freshly grind black pepper
- 1/2 recipe of the above vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 recipe of the above vegan cashew cheese
- 1 tbsp Vegan nutrition yeast flakes, optional
- Cook the chopped tomatoes in a saucepan on the stove. Add the tomato puree and brown sugar. Cook until the sauce thicken. Season it with salt and black pepper. Add the fresh basil and oregano leaves, stir and off the heat. Set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil in the frying pan over medium heat. Slightly fry the sliced aubergines and the courgettes, set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, blanch the sliced sweet potatoes in the boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes until just half cooked. Drain the water.
- Preheat oven to 375° F /190° C.
- To assemble, spread a few tablespoons of tomato sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of the courgettes over the sauce, then a layer of sweet potatoes. Spread part of the cashew cheese over the sweet potatoes. Top with the tomato sauce again.
- Repeat the layers and top with remaining tomato sauce. Slice or grate the cheddar cheese and sprinkle on top.
- Or sprinkle the yeast flakes on top as well, if you use. Add the freshly ground black pepper.
- Put in the preheat oven and bake until the cheese a little bit brownish. Then serve.