Rye Flakes Soft Dinner Rolls ~ Vegan
I have an idea flash in front of me suddenly. It keeps telling me to make bread.
I find out that I made a lot of cake or dessert recently. Not bread or a proper loaf.
Since my hubby bought me a stand mixer, making bread is not my problem anymore. Because my wrist is getting weak, I can’t knead the dough ideally before this gadget came into my kitchen.
Surely this bread roll is too soft to handle with your hands, I can tell! a bread machine or stand mixer will help you achieve this soft and fluffy rolls for no doubt.
And this recipe was so popular in my Facebook fans. Thanks for their sharing!🙂
Rye Flakes Soft Dinner Rolls
- 255g Strong wholemeal flour
- 45g Rye flakes, optional (you can skip this and add up to the strong flour)
- 6g Dried Active yeast (4g for instant dried yeast)
- 20ml Lukewarm water
- 175ml Cold water
- 25g Light brown sugar
- 4g Pink Sea salt
- 12g Custard powder, optional (you can use milk powder for non-vegan)
- 28g Vegan butter (I use Coconut butter)
For the topping:
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds for sprinkle the top
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup + 1 tsp water for brushing the top before bake
- Mix the dried yeast with the lukewarm water and set aside for 5 minutes until fluffy.
- Put the cold water in the stand mixer, with the sieved flour, rye flakes, sugar, salt on one side and the custard powder. Then pour the yeast mixture on top.
- Start with medium speed, work 4 to 5 minutes, then add the vegan butter. Change to high speed for 6 more minutes until the dough smooth and elastic.
- Transfer to a warm place to prove until 2 to 3 times bigger.
- Deflate the dough to release the air. Divide in 6 equal portions and roll in a ball shape, rest for 10 to 15 minutes on the counter.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/170°C fan oven.
- Roll the buns again and transfer on a baking pan. Let it prove in a warm place for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Brush with maple syrup and sprinkle some poppy seeds on top.
- Bake on the bottom shelf for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.
- If you don’t have the rye flakes, it is not necessary. Just add the strong flour to 300g will be fine.
- This bread is too soft to handle. Recommend to use stand mixer or bread machine.
- Mine looks a bit pale after baking that’s you see. Recommend to bake for another 2 minutes.